CompTIA Learning Resources for Security+ and CySA+

Having taught both Security+ and CySA+ courses fairly recently utilizing the CompTIA student guides and labs for both courses, I'm finding that for CySA+ the student guide provides detailed content for the CompTIA labs but the same is not true for the Security+ learning resources. I see real value, particularly for online courses where the instructor is not available during lab times, for the CySA+ content model.

Thoughts?

admar

Jan 18, 2022
Luanda
Having taught both Security+ and CySA+ courses fairly recently utilizing the CompTIA student guides and labs for both courses, I'm finding that for CySA+ the student guide provides detailed content for the CompTIA labs but the same is not true for the Security+ learning resources. I see real value, particularly for online courses where the instructor is not available during lab times, for the CySA+ content model.

Thoughts?
I agreee

Stuart

May 28, 2022
I haven't used Labs for either myself, but I see what you are saying and seem to have hit the nail on the head Steve!
I have used the labs for my CySA+ classes you just need to make sure that the students understand what's going on and not just clicking to get it done as fast as possible. I have not used the labs for Security+

A key feature of the Security+ labs is the grouping of a series of a typical group of "assisted labs" that conclude with an "applied lab". With the "assisted" labs, they have detailed "point and click" instructions. The "applied" lab lacks that detail and is designed to have students, based on what they learned in the "assisted" labs, complete a series of activities. I personally like this approach. That approach unfortunately is not followed with the CySA+ labs.

Stuart

May 28, 2022
A key feature of the Security+ labs is the grouping of a series of a typical group of "assisted labs" that conclude with an "applied lab". With the "assisted" labs, they have detailed "point and click" instructions. The "applied" lab lacks that detail and is designed to have students, based on what they learned in the "assisted" labs, complete a series of activities. I personally like this approach. That approach unfortunately is not followed with the CySA+ labs.
Well said @Steve I think if CySA+ had an applied lab this would put what students learn to the test. So many students just click through the labs without really learning what they are doing

For those in the group that teach for academic institutions that are (or might seek) a CAE (center of academic excellence) DHS/NSA designation, it looks like the term "applied labs" clearly has a meaning. I'm working with a college currently seeking this designation, and they have been asked to provide instructions and sample student work for "applied labs." The exact language comes from what is called the "Pre-Submission Review Report" and is shown below:

1c. Courses Syllabi and Courses Requiring Applied Lab Exercises (For KU Aligned Courses Only)
The applicant will provide syllabi of all courses in the KU Alignment (See section 1e below) and identify those
that require applied labs exercises (hands-on) that develop competencies in the cyber domain, provide lab
exercises guidelines and highlight lab requirements in the syllabus.

Considering that CompTIA used a question on the CASP+ exam that required using a live virtual machine, it's important that the students have a practical working knowledge of the technology and tools. I hope CompTIA exapands the use of VMs in their other exams like A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, and PenTest+.

Considering that CompTIA used a question on the CASP+ exam that required using a live virtual machine, it's important that the students have a practical working knowledge of the technology and tools. I hope CompTIA exapands the use of VMs in their other exams like A+, Net+, Sec+, CySA+, and PenTest+.
The challenge as you might imagine is both a scoring issue and the additional cost associated with building an exam question inside a virtual environment. A great but I think seldom used feature for course VM lab content is as an instructor you can use this environment to create your own custom labs, providing students with additional practice exercises that supplement lab content. Having taken TTTs from @Lee in the past, I know this is an approach he uses in the gns3 environment he's always pushing.

Reactions: Lee McWhorter
a question on the CASP+ exam that required using a live virtual machine
IT will be interesting to see if they continue to do this with other exams. Looking forward to talking to people about it at Partner Summit and to see how the test with CASP+ works out.

Liz Wannemacher

VP Marketing @ CompTIA
Staff member
Jul 31, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
partners.comptia.org
I'm sure that approach will be used for the next update.
Hello Lee and Steve, you are correct. The feature of having both "assisted" and "applied" labs will be the design in all upcoming content CertMaster Labs update. I am glad you find that that helpful.

Best
Liz

Thanks Liz for letting us know. Another issue I raise in this comparison of the Security+ and CySA+ CompTIA learning resources is below. Thoughts?

I'm finding that for CySA+ the student guide provides detailed content for the CompTIA labs but the same is not true for the Security+ learning resources. I see real value, particularly for online courses where the instructor is not available during lab times, for the CySA+ content model.

IT will be interesting to see if they continue to do this with other exams. Looking forward to talking to people about it at Partner Summit and to see how the test with CASP+ works out.
I hope that they extend it to all of the technical exams. A learner showing they can complete a task in a real-world scenario using a VM is a much better indicator of their mastery of the content than a multiple choice question. I've been taking certification exams for 30 years and this is the first time I've been excited about a change in the exams.

Last edited: