• No, but trying to get it in before it retires

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • No, I have no desire to obtain it

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
Cleveland, Ohio
With the CTT+ retiring in March, I'm curious how many of those here hold the certification. And if you have it, did you do the virtual or classroom exams, or even both? If you have it, has it helped you find more teaching opportunities? I'm sitting for the book exam next week and hope to get in both virtual and classroom options before March. I have a virtual class later this month I can use, and an in-person class in February I can use. I will probably use the same lecture topic for both but make the needed adjustments for virtual vs in-person. I am still deciding on the topic to use.

For us old guys there was a point in time when you held the Microsoft Certified Trainer designation you were blessed (grandfathered) with the CTT+ designation. I guess I can blame the certification's "retirement" as an additional reason I'm retiring......... (even though it is "good for life").

With the CTT+ retiring in March, I'm curious how many of those here hold the certification. And if you have it, did you do the virtual or classroom exams, or even both? If you have it, has it helped you find more teaching opportunities? I'm sitting for the book exam next week and hope to get in both virtual and classroom options before March. I have a virtual class later this month I can use, and an in-person class in February I can use. I will probably use the same lecture topic for both but make the needed adjustments for virtual vs in-person. I am still deciding on the topic to use.
Right there with you. I'm going through one book to see how it looks. So far, the first couple chapters have been a review of topics I've taken from CECU's MaxKnowledge courses and stuff I've picked up in experience. Not sure if I'll be able to get both variants - maybe. I had thought about trying to submit a snippet from either the TTT or the WASTC from last year for the virtual side, but not sure if that would meet all the requirements. Will take some investigation.

I'm not sure how well CTT+ would actually serve me, but I've never turned down the opportunity to go for a cert. Those things are a mite bit addicting.

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
Cleveland, Ohio
I've never turned down the opportunity to go for a cert. Those things are a mite bit addicting.
I'm there with you. Even with past jobs anytime there was training or certifications I loved it. Coworkers hated me for it.

I am starting to get overwhelmed with certs that I either want to go for or should go for. I have training opportunities with the commercial company training company I work for, the TTT opportunities, and other misc ones that could help future endeavors. I am not sure how long I can keep up with everything, I am certainly seeing @Steve Linthicum's reasoning for retirement. The renewal cycle is draining. Even though I had the 1000 series of A+ I sat for both 1100 series exams because I teach them. I didn't want to teach something I haven't directly taken and passed.

@Rick Butler do you have the All-In-One CTT+ book from Joseph Phillips? That is what I am using. I have seen people commenting that it prepares them well, and others say there is a lot of extra that you don't need to know. I shall find out tomorrow. Back in grad school I took some teaching classes geared for adults that focused on natural sciences being the topic and much of what the book says overlaps. I'm finding myself struggling to prepare for this exam since it is not your normal CompTIA or Microsoft exam.

I'm there with you. Even with past jobs anytime there was training or certifications I loved it. Coworkers hated me for it.
Haters gotta hate. Game on, Abby.

I am starting to get overwhelmed with certs that I either want to go for or should go for. I have training opportunities with the commercial company training company I work for, the TTT opportunities, and other misc ones that could help future endeavors. I am not sure how long I can keep up with everything, I am certainly seeing @Steve Linthicum's reasoning for retirement. The renewal cycle is draining. Even though I had the 1000 series of A+ I sat for both 1100 series exams because I teach them. I didn't want to teach something I haven't directly taken and passed.
Bah, keep up with it for as long as you want. I know, eventually, I'll lay my burden down too and stop taking them. But for now, I enjoy the challenge - it keeps me sharp (the most important thing) and has a bit of a vanity/pride thing when you don't have to put ALL your certs on your signature, because you have one or two that make the others a matter of due course.

@Rick Butler do you have the All-In-One CTT+ book from Joseph Phillips? That is what I am using. I have seen people commenting that it prepares them well, and others say there is a lot of extra that you don't need to know. I shall find out tomorrow. Back in grad school I took some teaching classes geared for adults that focused on natural sciences being the topic and much of what the book says overlaps. I'm finding myself struggling to prepare for this exam since it is not your normal CompTIA or Microsoft exam.
That's the book I have! I heard the same thing about the book - a lot of fluff material. But then, I heard it said that if instructors didn't have their own stories and spin as they teach, they're not really that valuable as instructors. So, I'll glaze over the fluffy stuff, but I think the fluffy stuff creates the air of what it's like to be a teacher, not just the academic jargon of terms like 'learning objective'. Maybe this book, you read the glossary first...

I never earned it because I have been a Microsoft Certified Trainer for 17 years, and that was always enough for me. Now that I am teaching more CompTIA classes I started looking into it late last year, only to discover that it is being retired. I suppose that means I will have to maintain my MCT for a few more years...

Since the MCT status was mentioned in the previous posting, while I no longer hold this certification, largely based upon a desire to not pay the $800/year annual fee, I'm still on their email list. Today I received an email detailing some interesting information shown below:

Courseware updates​
Azure Courseware Updates
  • Minor update 12/9/22 | AI-900T00: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals | 4 Days
  • Minor update 12/9/22 | AZ-040T00: Automating Administration with PowerShell | 5 Days
  • Major update 12/9/22 | AZ-140T00: Configuring and Operating Microsoft Azure Virtual Desktop | 4 Days
  • Major update 12/16/22 | AZ-220T00: Microsoft Azure IoT Developer | 4 Days
  • Major update 12/9/22 | AZ-400T00: Designing and Implementing Microsoft DevOps solutions | 4 Days
  • Major update 12/9/22 | AZ-600T00: Configuring and Operating a Hybrid Cloud with Microsoft Azure Stack Hub | 4 Days
  • Minor update 12/16/22 | AZ-800T00: Administering Windows Server Hybrid Core Infrastructure | 4 Days
  • Minor update 12/16/22 | AZ-801T00: Configuring Windows Server Hybrid Advanced Services | 4 Days
  • Major update 12/9/22 | AZ-900T00: Microsoft Azure Fundamentals | 1 Day
  • Major update 12/16/22 | DP-090T00: Implementing a Machine Learning Solution with Microsoft Azure Databricks | 1 Day
  • Major update 12/16/22 | DP-100T01: Designing and Implementing a Data Science Solution on Azure | 3 Days
  • Major update 12/16/22 | DP-300T00: Administering Microsoft Azure SQL Solutions| 4 Days
Business Applications Courseware Updates
  • Minor update 12/16/22 | MB-230T01: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customer Service
  • Major update 12/9/22 | MB-260T00: Microsoft Customer Data Platform Specialty
  • Minor update 12/16/22 | MB-320T00: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management, Manufacturing | 4 Days (Moving to 4 Days with Applied Workshops)
  • Major update 12/9/22 | MB-700T00: Microsoft Dynamics 365: Finance and Operations Apps Solution Architect | 4 Days
  • Major update 2/24/22 | MB-910T00: Microsoft Dynamics 365 Fundamentals (CRM) | 1 Day
  • Major update 12/16/22 | PL-400T00: Microsoft Power Platform Developer | 5 Days
  • Major update 12/9/22 | PL-500T00: Microsoft Power Automate RPA Developer | 4 Days
  • Major update 12/16/22 | PL-600T00: Microsoft Power Platform Solution Architect | 3 Days
Microsoft 365 Courseware Updates
  • Major update 12/16/22 | MD-100T00: Windows Client | 5 Days
  • Major update 12/16/22 | MD-101T00: Managing Modern Desktops | 5 Days
  • Minor update 12/16/22 | MS-700T00: Managing Microsoft Teams | 4 Days
  • Major update 12/9/22 | MS-720T00: Microsoft Teams Voice Engineer | 3 Days
Security Courseware Updates
  • Major update 12/16/22 | SC-900T00: Microsoft Security, Compliance, and Identity Fundamentals | 1 Day (Labs will move to using ALH Azure subscription and will no longer require an Azure Pass)

I dropped my MCT several years ago when they raised the fees. I wasn't teaching that much Microsoft because I was teaching so much CompTIA.

I did apply for the MCT Alumni program and was accepted. And as Mitch said, it appears that Microsoft has waived the MCT Program fee for new MCTs and renewals, as well as MCT Alumni. If they continue to waive the fees, I'll stick with the MCT Alumni program. But I don't see myself needing an actual MCT ever again in my career.

Right now, I'm on the fence about the CTT+. I passed the computer-based exam so I only need to submit a recording of either an instructor-led course or a virtual instructor-led course. It would do absolutely nothing for my career at this point, considering I've got over 22 years of teaching experience. It would be for personal satisfaction more than anything.

I do think we, as members of the training industry, need some kind of TTT certification. MCT isn't a TTT cert. It's a cert that states you passed a Microsoft exam and filled out some extra paperwork. The CCSI is roughly the same. Sure, the vendors give you a few discounts and allow you to use their in-house content, but other than that, they don't prove that you can actually train others.

Does anyone know if there are any TTT certifications out there that are vendor-neutral?

Reactions: Mitch Garvis
While this isn't probably something that fits what you are looking for, the Certificate for Online Teaching and Design fills a need with the California Community College System, something I was required to obtain in order to teach online courses for the colleges. I did try and give a pitch to CompTIA for it to satisfy the TK0 -203 Virtual requirement, but that didn't happen. 😞

Issa Ngoie

Nov 7, 2021
I dropped my MCT several years ago when they raised the fees. I wasn't teaching that much Microsoft because I was teaching so much CompTIA.

I did apply for the MCT Alumni program and was accepted. And as Mitch said, it appears that Microsoft has waived the MCT Program fee for new MCTs and renewals, as well as MCT Alumni. If they continue to waive the fees, I'll stick with the MCT Alumni program. But I don't see myself needing an actual MCT ever again in my career.

Right now, I'm on the fence about the CTT+. I passed the computer-based exam so I only need to submit a recording of either an instructor-led course or a virtual instructor-led course. It would do absolutely nothing for my career at this point, considering I've got over 22 years of teaching experience. It would be for personal satisfaction more than anything.

I do think we, as members of the training industry, need some kind of TTT certification. MCT isn't a TTT cert. It's a cert that states you passed a Microsoft exam and filled out some extra paperwork. The CCSI is roughly the same. Sure, the vendors give you a few discounts and allow you to use their in-house content, but other than that, they don't prove that you can actually train others.

Does anyone know if there are any TTT certifications out there that are vendor-neutral?
Hello Sir,

Please provide suggestion on CCT+ computer based exam, I am planning to write it next week.

Hello Sir,

Please provide suggestion on CCT+ computer based exam, I am planning to write it next week.
I took the CTT+ TK0-201 exam in April 2006. It has not versioned since then so technically it's still current.

I can't remember much from 17 years ago, but I do remember that I didn't have any study materials. I did no preparation whatsoever, other than teaching. The questions seemed quite easy to me. It was literally an exam on how to teach students with different learning styles, dealing with classroom management, etc. I honestly don't know if there is a book that has been published recently that would help.

CompTIA delayed the retirement of CTT+.
See here: https://www.comptia.org/certifications/ctt

"The last day to purchase a voucher and sit for the TK0-201 exam will be September 30, 2023. The last day to purchase a voucher and submit the TK0-202 or TK-203 video will be October 31, 2023. ... Grading will be completed and uploaded to CertMetrics by December 31, 2023."

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
Cleveland, Ohio

"The last day to purchase a voucher and sit for the TK0-201 exam will be September 30, 2023. The last day to purchase a voucher and submit the TK0-202 or TK-203 video will be October 31, 2023. ... Grading will be completed and uploaded to CertMetrics by December 31, 2023."
Interesting. I wonder if they have seen a boost in registrations for the exam and voucher sales. I certainly won't complain on having more extra time to submit the videos.

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com

Oh true! They've extended it, instead of the initially planned retirement date of March 2023.
    Interesting!

It seems like they have received an influx of requests to get CTT+ certified this time.

Oh true! They've extended it, instead of the initially planned retirement date of March 2023.
    Interesting!

It seems like they have received an influx of requests to get CTT+ certified this time.
    We're gonna save the CTT+ one CINner at a time! :LOL:

Esther S. Stepansky

• Mar 14, 2020
    I'm disappointed that CompTIA is retiring the CTT+. I bought the book last year and was planning to tackle the cert this late Spring. I guess I'll just read it, but now have no chance to earn the credential as our semester has started and I'm loaded with classes.
    Maybe they will come out with something similar in the future.
    @Hemlock You are in luck. I think they realized that a lot of us would not be able to do this until the semester is over. I just saw they extended the dates for both the exam & getting the videos in.

Reactions: Hemlock