I see many of us using ifconfig vs ip a in Linux Command

Heh - this came up in the Linux+ TTT, I think on Monday, actually.

Simply, ifconfig is part of the old net-tools package and has pretty much gone deprecated, although both tools pretty much do the same thing. There some distros that won't even install it now by default. For those using Linux for a while, we're all used to using ifconfig, having developed the habit (@Lee McWhorter calls it 'muscle memory'). The newer tool is ip a.

I think these days, instructors should be using "ip a" as the primary tool. Using ifconfig should probably be mentioned since it's still out there and a lot of documentation, tutorials, and such. The Linux+ exam still has it on the list under Objective 1.5, so it is still testable material. But if you're teaching for proficiency and practical application, I would really make a point to get out of the habit of using ifconfig.

/r

admar

Jan 18, 2022
Luanda
Heh - this came up in the Linux+ TTT, I think on Monday, actually.

Simply, ifconfig is part of the old net-tools package and has pretty much gone deprecated, although both tools pretty much do the same thing. There some distros that won't even install it now by default. For those using Linux for a while, we're all used to using ifconfig, having developed the habit (@Lee McWhorter calls it 'muscle memory'). The newer tool is ip a.

I think these days, instructors should be using "ip a" as the primary tool. Using ifconfig should probably be mentioned since it's still out there and a lot of documentation, tutorials, and such. The Linux+ exam still has it on the list under Objective 1.5, so it is still testable material. But if you're teaching for proficiency and practical application, I would really make a point to get out of the habit of using ifconfig.

/r
I could not understand well but thank Mr, @Rick Butler

Reactions: Lee McWhorter

Eugene

Aug 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I look at that apple uses ifconfig (if I am correct)(so it helps to transition to other OS's without having to remember more commands or search for them). With linux "ip" is to be more robust but it is the same as ifconfig and it would depend on what commands a distro will take. So I do both in class. With ICMP (Internet Message Control Protocol) any commands like these just help with the health status/checks of devices.

A quick addition to what Rick said:

While the ip command is the modern, preferred, and generally cooler way to view and configure IP on Linux systems nowadays, it's equally important to know of ifconfig as it is the only way to view and configure IP on UNIX systems like BSD or macOS.

Last edited:

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
I look at that apple uses ifconfig (if I am correct)(so it helps to transition to other OS's without having to remember more commands or search for them). With linux "ip" is to be more robust but it is the same as ifconfig and it would depend on what commands a distro will take. So I do both in class. With ICMP (Internet Message Control Protocol) any commands like these just help with the health status/checks of devices.
Apple isn't Linux and the kernel is very different. That's why ifconfig is used.

In Linux, the new ip command works with many modern kernel features, like namespaces (important for containers!!), which ifconfig doesn't.