ifconfig vs. ip addr

So as I looked at the Linux+ objectives, I don't see 'ifconfig'. But I am looking at the Security+ objectives and see 'ifconfig' but not 'ip addr'.
With 'ifconfig' having been deprecated staring in 2009, when would we expect the CompTIA objectives to be consistent between certs?

Reactions: lokeshl
When it comes to ifconfig, deprecation just means "there's a simpler/preferred way to do things" and not "ifconfig is going away". In fact, ifconfig is still the preferred method for lightweight systems in the cloud and the only method on some distros and UNIX flavours (e.g. *BSD).

Last edited:
it looks like 'ifconfig' is also in the brand new Network+ objectives. Not saying I want it to go away, it's just that when you teach it, students sometimes like to point out that it is deprecated. I then have to pull out the CompTIA objectives to show them that it is still covered and could be asked on the exam.

Also keep in mind that ifconfig will always be available on Linux systems too (deprecation simply means it's not the recommended method for configuring IP - which means nothing in the IT world ;-). Even if your Linux distro ships with the ip command only (part of iproute2 package), you can still install the iptools package (e.g. apt install iptools, or dnf install iptools) to get the ipconfig command. For UNIX systems, ifconfig has no deprecation whatsoever. So, we'll likely see ifconfig on future versions of all certification exams alongside the ip command.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tess Sluijter

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
I also wonder if the fact that Kali still has it as part of OS that it is left in there?
Kali is just YAD: yet another Debian. It has no special bearing on the community as a whole.

I fully agree with Jason that, despite some distros opting to defaulting to ip it doesn't mean ifconfig goes away. Funnier still: most of my Linux+ students just immediately put ifconfig on their boxen, because A) they like the look of the output better, B) all the Linux-tutorials (dating back 20-30 years!!) use it.

My original post was not about ifconfig being used, or not used, but rather is the inconsistency to if the various CompTIA objectives are going to go with it or not. With Linux+ ifconfig is gone. Security+ ifconfig is back. During the CySA+ Train the Trainer, it was brought up again. Just asking that question.

Kali is just YAD: yet another Debian. It has no special bearing on the community as a whole.

I fully agree with Jason that, despite some distros opting to defaulting to ip it doesn't mean ifconfig goes away. Funnier still: most of my Linux+ students just immediately put ifconfig on their boxen, because A) they like the look of the output better, B) all the Linux-tutorials (dating back 20-30 years!!) use it.
Well, my point to that was to note that, even in a most recent distro, that IFCONFIG was still out there in the wild. Deprecated it may be, but it seems like it's not going away anytime soon.

My original post was not about ifconfig being used, or not used, but rather is the inconsistency to if the various CompTIA objectives are going to go with it or not. With Linux+ ifconfig is gone. Security+ ifconfig is back. During the CySA+ Train the Trainer, it was brought up again. Just asking that question.
I can see what you're saying, Dana. I'm not sure as to the logic behind it, except that perhaps different working groups for each exam. Not sure if there is a "centralizing controller" out there that works to keep the exams consistent. I'm sure it's pretty aggressive to keep putting them out ever few years.

Reactions: Tess Sluijter