Jumping Off the Hamster Wheel

I've made a conscious decision to fully retire (except for volunteer work), effective June 1st. That decision is in part based upon not moving forward in maintaining my technical skills, specifically as they relate to cloud computing and coding. Living on the technological bleeding edge is simply getting too challenging. I'm wondering if I'm alone with regard this? Back in the old days, I fondly remember CompTIA certifications, by definition, lasted a lifetime. Today, with regular exam updates scheduled with a three (3) year cycle, those who follow a rule that you do not teach to a certification unless you've passed the most recent certification exam is a challenge, and one I'm no longer interested in following. With retirement "mailbox money" exceeding expenses, I'm looking forward to travel (just returned from Australia and New Zealand), with plans to head to Europe in May and South America in the fall. So I won't be hanging around here a lot.

Steve

SteveM

Sep 16, 2020
London UK
Congratulations Steve enjoy your retirement you've earned it! Thank you for all the resources you've shared here over the years. It definately isn't easy to stay on top of the certs while having a day job and family. I personally have made a decision to narrow down on the Technologies, as over the years i've been spreading myself too thin. If you are ever in London feel free to stop by for a beer or coffee Sir

Congratulations on the retirement! I hope you find a new pursuit to enjoy in life.

When the job is no longer interesting, challenging, or rewarding, it's time to make a change. I'm still pushing ahead because I actually enjoy constantly learning new things.

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I've made a conscious decision to fully retire (except for volunteer work), effective June 1st. That decision is in part based upon not moving forward in maintaining my technical skills, specifically as they relate to cloud computing and coding. Living on the technological bleeding edge is simply getting too challenging. I'm wondering if I'm alone with regard this? Back in the old days, I fondly remember CompTIA certifications, by definition, lasted a lifetime. Today, with regular exam updates scheduled with a three (3) year cycle, those who follow a rule that you do not teach to a certification unless you've passed the most recent certification exam is a challenge, and one I'm no longer interested in following. With retirement "mailbox money" exceeding expenses, I'm looking forward to travel (just returned from Australia and New Zealand), with plans to head to Europe in May and South America in the fall. So I won't be hanging around here a lot.

Steve
    Certainly can understand your logic and reasoning. Maybe one day in the far distant future, I'll do the same. Hard to say, but it's been good to have you around, hearing your insights and getting to know you a little. Fair winds and blue skies, my friend.

/r

KGreen

Nov 2, 2021

Steve
    Yep, it's a big continuous thing to get and stay certified with the cycles. You'd go nuts trying to cert for everything at once, so you end up stuck in a "lather rinse repeat" cycle jumping from one cert to the next. Enjoy retirement! Let us know if you do write a book! If it's a travel memoir, even better!