Learn + Labs + Book - Logical Order

We are in the process of setting up ITF+ curricula using the CompTIA Learn and Labs. What we are finding is that while these are great pieces individually, the two do not complement each other directly. A third piece is necessary, to help the students identify when to switch from Learn to Labs.

I understand the two are separate items available for purchase and referring to labs they don't have access to may confuse students. However, it would be great to have a place in Learn to mark that Labs has been purchased so the relevant lab material sections can be referenced at the right time and place within the Learn modules.

Granted, we are new to building these out, so it is quite possible I am missing something elementary in my research.

I do not have a copy of the student study guide, perhaps the guide helps tie the two together? Or any other places where this is compiled?

You are correct, you can purchase Learn+Labs in a bundle, but you just get access keys to the separate platforms. The content is the same, without guidance on when to go from one to the other.

I was checking with the community before I started down the path of generating 'guide' content in an effort to provide the student details on when to switch from Learn to Labs.

You are correct, you can purchase Learn+Labs in a bundle, but you just get access keys to the separate platforms. The content is the same, without guidance on when to go from one to the other.

I was checking with the community before I started down the path of generating 'guide' content in an effort to provide the student details on when to switch from Learn to Labs.
That will be an interesting study. Right now, I am going through the L+L for Cloud+. I think in a lot of ways, the instructor really is the guide, because, really, they know their students best. And of course, timing is everything as well - do we do the labs with the students, do we assign them as Outside Work, etc. There are so many variables to consider on how you employ the tools in your learning environment.

That's why CIN is here - to share these different perspectives, btw - so I'm pretty sure others will want to hear and see how it's worked for you.

/r

Reactions: Hod Berman

Liz Wannemacher

VP Marketing @ CompTIA
Staff member
Jul 31, 2019
Chicago, Illinois
partners.comptia.org
We are in the process of setting up ITF+ curricula using the CompTIA Learn and Labs. What we are finding is that while these are great pieces individually, the two do not complement each other directly. A third piece is necessary, to help the students identify when to switch from Learn to Labs.

I understand the two are separate items available for purchase and referring to labs they don't have access to may confuse students. However, it would be great to have a place in Learn to mark that Labs has been purchased so the relevant lab material sections can be referenced at the right time and place within the Learn modules.

Granted, we are new to building these out, so it is quite possible I am missing something elementary in my research.

I do not have a copy of the student study guide, perhaps the guide helps tie the two together? Or any other places where this is compiled?
Hello Matt, thank you for reaching out. With our newer products, we are creating an integrated product so the experience is seamless. Unfortunately ITF+ won't be updated until next year with this streamlined design. Let us know how we can help you. @Jwehrle and I are happy to have a discussion if you would like.

Best,
Liz

With the new content, I'm finding that connecting the Student Guide content with the available virtual labs to be an easy task, with some relatively minor additional work utilizing the Presentation Guide that can be adjusted to the course length (in my case typically a 13 to 18 week semester). One thing I believe would be useful is a table that ties the labs to the guide by referencing the pages in the student guide (see the attached table I created for the CySA+ course I'm teaching this semester). Note with regard to this table those labs identified as "scenarios." These are "labs" that do not utilize a virtual lab environment and after presenting a written scenario in the Student Guide, ask a series of questions. It took some time to figure out that with regard to having 27 "labs" and only finding 21 virtual labs.

One change that I did that deviates from the lab order contained in the Guide is to move the "Discovering the Lab Environment" lab to a time shortly after the course begins. I think it is important to do this because students will want the hands-on and the scenario labs are more aligned with writing assignments.

Attachments

• LIST OF LABS FOR CIMS 155L.pdf
    104.6 KB · Views: 20