Network+ Class Project Ideas for reinforcement

Krose

Aug 14, 2019
I am a HS teacher in a career center looking for some Network+ project ideas which can be performed either by unit/domain or perhaps they have semester long project ideas that are built upon on a weekly basis which I can add to my course reinforce the topics with real world scenarios. I you have resource sites to share, that would be helpful as well.

Also if someone has a lab resource which can be used that would be helpful as well as I am continually working though them, however most of them seem to be busy work rather than focusing on the topics.

Thanks in advance.

pwells

Oct 1, 2019
Hi Krose, you can have a look at the CompTIA Network+ N10-007 Hands-on Lab Simulator, this can be useful in your environment. You do not have the expense of costly equipment and hardware. If the students are new to most hardware, you can acquire items which you can use for demonstration example switch, router, WAP and the rest. Cisco Packet tracer, can be utilised for teaching and showing a range of networking and routing concepts. I also found this to be useful for hands on practice. https://www.amazon.com/101-Labs-CompTIA-Hands-Practical-ebook/dp/B07K57W5X1
Hope this helps

Krose

Aug 14, 2019
Thanks for the response.
I have tried those labs and they only add so much. I am looking for some that they can get more hands on and do, to step things up a notch and also keep their interest and focus rather than reading and doing virtual labs.As we know, students love to play with the toys. Fortunately with donations I do have the equipment to do such labs in a live environment.I was hoping that rather than trial an error I can hear from someone that has made it work. I have recently picked up the title you referenced and are planning to incorporate those this coming semester. They are nice because it can help me differentiate between students as they don't come with specified step by step instructions or the configuration file.

A project I'm working on involves participation by faculty and students with the Information Technology Disaster Recovery Center (www.itdrc.org). What we are planning a project that will be performing wireless site surveys at fairgrounds across California. In times of disaster, fairgrounds typically serve as evacuation sites. Disaster preplanning is a key component that is often not in place. By conducting site surveys we will be in a better position to identify equipment needs immediately and react in a prompt and effective manner should the need arise. Having faculty and students from a community college that is in close proximity to a fairground enables the ability to provide project-based learning while at the same time giving faculty and students to volunteer for a worthwhile activity.

Dakota Copeland

Jan 27, 2021
Thanks for the response.
I have tried those labs and they only add so much. I am looking for some that they can get more hands on and do, to step things up a notch and also keep their interest and focus rather than reading and doing virtual labs.As we know, students love to play with the toys. Fortunately with donations I do have the equipment to do such labs in a live environment.I was hoping that rather than trial an error I can hear from someone that has made it work. I have recently picked up the title you referenced and are planning to incorporate those this coming semester. They are nice because it can help me differentiate between students as they don't come with specified step by step instructions or the configuration file.
Just buy a cheapo router, switch, and firewall setup a local area seems simple enough. I teach in a prison and I have 2 LANs setup that are not on the "network" and they work great for the students. Lecture over each piece of equipment then divide the students into groups let them build the LAN from the ground up.