Operating Systems course - resource suggestions

I am reaching out for suggestions for textbooks/resources to use for a course that I am teaching. The course is an introductory to intermediate look at current Windows and Linux operating systems. The course description and objectives/learning outcomes are as follows:

Course Description:

This course examines two of the most prominent operating systems: Windows and Linux. Students will explore structural and functional topics in both operating system environments to complete hands-on activities that reinforce using various commands and interfaces for each task. Tasks include: Installing and maintaining operating systems; Configuring and utilizing standard utilities and applications; Implementing and maintaining files and file systems; Exploring the fundamentals of installing, managing, and configuring network clients.

Student Learning Objectives:
  • Configure and manipulate Windows and Linux-based systems operating systems
  • Configure and manage operating system interfaces, utilities, and applications
  • Perform basic file management operations
  • Create, mount, and manage operating system file systems
  • Identify, access, and control hardware resources
  • Maintain and update operating system installations
  • Connect and share operating system resources via simple network environments
This course bridges the skills and knowledge acquired from the CompTIA A+ objectives covering these operating systems to Microsoft Windows Desktop Admin certification objectives and CompTIA Linux+ objectives. It is not designed to teach System Admin level skills rather, it is intended to provide a deeper understanding and exploration of both environments before moving to the administrator level.

I have used a Cengage textbook for this course for the last 3 years, but it is now time to update. Cengage has discontinued the textbook/author relationship, so I need to find some new resources. What I have found does not really fit the course's objectives, and there are not many usable hands-on resources in the Cengage offerings that have been suggested.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JB

Have you looked at the Cisco NetAcademy? We used it before, and they will work with schools as a resource, it's been a few years that I used it, but it's an option.
Thank you Carlos. I know they have some Linux courses in the academy, but I haven’t looked into them heavily. I would not mind making a customized course, if I didn’t have 6 others to manage, update and deliver each semester. 😎 The challenge never ends!!! 😉

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Here's free introductory course on Linux, by the Linux Foundation
    https://training.linuxfoundation.org/training/introduction-to-linux/

Here's free self-paced learning resources on Windows installation, from Microsoft.

There are many other courses available at Microsoft Learn. Check them out too:

If there's a specific topic you need, just let the community know. :)
    Hope this helps!

Here's free introductory course on Linux, by the Linux Foundation
    https://training.linuxfoundation.org/training/introduction-to-linux/

Here's free self-paced learning resources on Windows installation, from Microsoft.

There are many other courses available at Microsoft Learn. Check them out too:

If there's a specific topic you need, just let the community know. :)
    Hope this helps!
    Jarrel,

Thank you for the resource links!!! These are all excellent sources, and I very much appreciate your feedback!!