Pay What You Can Training from John Strand - Black Hills Information Security

Wanted to share this with you. I've admired John Strand's teaching efforts over the years, and I think many of you will find the time spent taking these courses is beneficial.

Hey folks!

We don't have any Black Hills Information Security (BHIS) webcasts this week because… reasons.

However, I wanted to take a few moments and invite you to check out my upcoming “Pay What You Can” (including $0) infosec training courses below:

Feb 2-5: Security Operations Center (SOC) Core Skills
Feb 23-26: Getting Started in Security with BHIS and MITRE ATT&CK
March 16-19: Active Defense & Cyber Deception

You can find the links to register for these courses here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v...zuqyR1XGgGXyOaS2Ol3khZXGprOay3LlZwyx-jQ-FU&e=

Let's talk about why I am doing this. First, I feel there is a huge skills gap in security. It is a skills gap that we keep trying to fill with technology, and it keeps failing. I also believe that training can help fill that gap better than anything else. Through years of teaching with the best infosec training organization in the world (SANS), I have seen the impact that great instruction can have on an organization and, more importantly, the individuals that take that training.

However, there are also many, many gates keeping people from those jobs and that training. Not every organization can afford the training required to secure their networks. There are also a huge number of people sitting on the outside of the industry looking at the hundreds of thousands of great paying jobs that they can never get because they are missing the skills and training to apply and get those jobs.

I want to fix that. And, that is why every course I teach online will be pay what you can from here on out. If you know someone who wants to get started in this industry, these courses are a great start. It is an opportunity to take infosec training at a very affordable price, including free.

If you are someone who has been doing this for a while, come join anyway. You may learn something, or get a chance to help others during the class.

When you go to register, if you look closely, we don't actually give the discount code to make the course free like we did in the past. We changed this because when we did publish it, a very low percentage of people that used the free code actually attended. Instead, I would like the people who need the free discount code to send us an email to the specified email accounts listed on the registration pages.

The goal of your email is not to explain why you cannot afford to pay for the course. I grew up lower class, and I know what it is like to constantly feel inferior because you cannot afford the same things as others. Rather, I just want to know where you are coming from and where you want to go in your career.

All the discounts codes, so you can choose to pay what you can, are available at the registration pages for each course. It may make more sense when you get there.

That's all.

Then, I hope years from now to get an email from you saying you got to where you wanted to go.

To know that we at BHIS may have helped you on that journey is one of the greatest rewards we could ever hope to achieve.

You can find the links to register for these courses here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v...zuqyR1XGgGXyOaS2Ol3khZXGprOay3LlZwyx-jQ-FU&e=

Thanks,

John Strand