Question of the Week and GIVEAWAY

admar

Jan 18, 2022
Luanda
I love CompTIA team, certifications, certifications contents. chat groups, events, webinars. my field is Cybersecurity i would like to get more practical contents in certifications like Security+, CySA+, Pentest+. Linux+, Project+ there is so much theory. maybe I'm wrong. just my view point.
CySA+ and Pentest+ need be more practical focus on blue team and red team real world Hands on. now there are so many Certifications like OSCP, eJPT, CEH Practical, PCB, just for examples

Last edited:

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
I can be wrong but I think that Security+ is a compTIA certification most taken from every others compTIA certifications. Network+ and Linux+ maybe after
Hm, i doubt so.
I think the DoD ind the US consumes a lot of Vouchers first for A+/ N+. Then Security.
All my 2c opinion (reading in a glass bulb):
After that there might be Server+, ITF+ and Cloud+
Below that Pentest, Cysa and CASP.
Project and Linux are running on their own.

For the Rest of the World: No idea.
I know i UK , there are far more CASP or Cloud+ Courses.
I never had an Request for teaching Project+, Cloud+, Server+, CASP from Germany (like in the last 12 years).
No so popular here, even A+ is not common, due to the IT Education for young Apprenticies.

So, we all can guess, we will probably never see numbers official. Which is fine for me.
(And TrainingsCenter will not tell you this, since that gives you an Idea how much Students they sell).
Even Microsoft has not released new Numbers for the Certfications in the last 10 years, they did back in the 00's
Honestly. We should leave it here.

I.

Last edited:

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
Good question
Within the Labs: there is a button to Report Errors, and they are looked after.
But the Answer is not always making you happy, when you worrying about what a word means. For Non English Native Speaker that may not always clear, even when the SME interpretes the Meaning in a different way then normally.

Also, with hosting most of the Stuff online (Ebooks, Labs) that should be easier to fix. But for the Trainers, there should be a Versioning Number for the Slides and the Instructor PDF, or an additional Document that list all Errors / Typos, and when where fixed..

Michael

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
I love CompTIA team, certifications, certifications contents. chat groups, events, webinars. my field is Cybersecurity i would like to get more practical contents in certifications like Security+, CySA+, Pentest+. Linux+, Project+ there is so much theory. maybe I'm wrong. just my view point.
CySA+ and Pentest+ need be more practical focus on blue team and red team real world Hands on. now there are so many Certifications like OSCP, eJPT, CEH Practical, PCB, just for examples
Adding more Practical Content in the Exam is costing a lot of Money. Does not make often a Business Case.
You did forget, that A+ and N+ also cover now a lot of Security Stuff that is covered in Security+.

Also, up to 90 questions in 90 min is for some students really a challenge, As you may need 10.15 min to solve some of the PBQ at the Beginning.
I recommend to my students: Skip them, do them on the End after the other Questions.
Since we don`t know if you get more or the same Points like for the Multiple Choice Questions.

With the other Vendors: You just see, that this is also a big business for other Companies as well to offer their own Certification to make Money. In the End that is all what they care!

Michael

Last edited:
I have like 50% Passing Rate with 2 Students on Site in an Accelarated Training, taking the Exam or around 80% in a normal Class. or something inbetween.
That doe align with: What do the Students know before? Do they meet Pre-Requisit? Are they Willing to learn in the Evening to take the Exam on the Last Day of Course? Is this there First Exam in an IT Course?
So measure via Passing rate is B***shit. Also using a 10 Point Scale to measure the Performance of Trainer, when everthing <= 7 is already not good...

Michael
That is great data and you are right, there are a lot of factors that go into how well a student performs and the main factor that I stress with all my students is that the bulk of the internalizing and learning will take place on their time (away from class). I will present the material, labs, demos, but they will need to start internalize the information and turn it into knowledge that they can apply and in my experience, that takes the bulk of their time.

Reactions: Gaibul Mondal
Good question

While I have my own means and connections to many people at CompTIA, one thing I'd like to have answered for the group is if there is an official way to report content issues, fixes, or corrections for any teachers out there using CompTIA materials. We get asked things like this a lot either here or in TTT's.
Thank you for asking that question Lee, as I have been working through the Network+ 008 instructor guide lately, I have noticed a few spelling errors. While I know these are small things, it takes away from the overall presentation of the product. Great question.

What's the best way for instructors who may only teach a CompTIA-aligned course once a year or once every few years to stay "in the know" of all the things going on with CompTIA?
I think this is a good place to stay in the know. What I have noticed in teaching different CompTIA courses is that as the courses update, the terms the courses use update (ie, blacklist/whitelist -> block/accept, DMZ -> screened subnet, etc). These terms are usually changed as soon as the next course that uses them comes out and I have been catching them in the TTT courses. And it's great to be updated and in the know, but from a students perspective, they just need to know what is going to be on which version of the exam they will be taking. So, while it is good to tell them that this or that term will be changing soon, it doesn't necessarily help them for the exam they are going to take. It is more professional development knowledge, which isn't a bad thing.

Also, I have had some great interactions and learned a lot from other instructors in the chat window during TTT sessions.

admar

Jan 18, 2022
Luanda
I think this is a good place to stay in the know. What I have noticed in teaching different CompTIA courses is that as the courses update, the terms the courses use update (ie, blacklist/whitelist -> block/accept, DMZ -> screened subnet, etc). These terms are usually changed as soon as the next course that uses them comes out and I have been catching them in the TTT courses. And it's great to be updated and in the know, but from a students perspective, they just need to know what is going to be on which version of the exam they will be taking. So, while it is good to tell them that this or that term will be changing soon, it doesn't necessarily help them for the exam they are going to take. It is more professional development knowledge, which isn't a bad thing.

Also, I have had some great interactions and learned a lot from other instructors in the chat window during TTT sessions.
Here we have most updated way to teach. beside this here we find another way how to pass our information to be understand and clear

I can be wrong but I think that Security+ is a compTIA certification most taken from every others compTIA certifications. Network+ and Linux+ maybe after
I would think that the big three of A+, Network+, and Security+ would be the most popular due to their longevity.

I have like 50% Passing Rate with 2 Students on Site in an Accelarated Training, taking the Exam or around 80% in a normal Class. or something inbetween.
That doe align with: What do the Students know before? Do they meet Pre-Requisit? Are they Willing to learn in the Evening to take the Exam on the Last Day of Course? Is this there First Exam in an IT Course?
So measure via Passing rate is B***shit. Also using a 10 Point Scale to measure the Performance of Trainer, when everthing <= 7 is already not good...

Michael
Earlier in my career I was a Certified Netware Instructor (CNI) teaching Novell Netware courses. The Novell training team required instructors using their materials to administer an end of course online student survey at the end of the last day of class. In that survey some questions were about the course materials; other questions were about the training facility; and still other questions were about how the material was delivered by the instructor. Using the data from the questions about how the material was delivered Novell developed instructor satisfaction scores which we instructors called our 'batting average'. These scores were helpful as I later became a training center manager I could work with instructors on strategies to help them improve their scores (i.e batting average). This also helped address some issues with the training center (room too hot/cold and noise from a nearby open door always being top issues) and I'd like to think helped Novell improve the content in the courses. I should point out that the end of course survey had to be completed before a student could receive a course completion certificate (often required by employers) and before the student had a reasonable opportunity to take the certification exam.

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
For the Rest of the World: No idea.
I know i UK , there are far more CASP or Cloud+ Courses.
I never had an Request for teaching Project+, Cloud+, Server+, CASP from Germany (like in the last 12 years).
No so popular here, even A+ is not common, due to the IT Education for young Apprenticies.
I can honestly tell you, there's a chance I'll move my next group of students away from Linux+, over to LFCS (Linux Foundation).

In the Netherlands, Linux+ has almost nill brand recognition.