Seeking Job Seeker Advice

Fellow CINers,

I'm working on a project as part of the NICE Modernizing Talent Management working group. We're developing guidance for entry level job seekers in the cyber security field. I'm seeking your thoughts and advice based on what you tell your students.

#1) How do you define and describe the term ‘entry-level’ for technical, non-technical, and transitional military cybersecurity roles, regardless of age (consider career pivots)?

#2) If your student can put in the work and attain a Security+ or a Network+ (entry level) certification; how does that relate or 'count' as experience?

#3) Thinking about your most successful (in terms of employment) entry level certification student; what made them successful?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Brian

Fellow CINers,

I'm working on a project as part of the NICE Modernizing Talent Management working group. We're developing guidance for entry level job seekers in the cyber security field. I'm seeking your thoughts and advice based on what you tell your students.

#1) How do you define and describe the term ‘entry-level’ for technical, non-technical, and transitional military cybersecurity roles, regardless of age (consider career pivots)?

One thing to keep in mind is an 'entry level' Cybersecurity job isn't an entry level IT job. Most people start in more of an IT roles and work towards cybersecurity roles.

#2) If your student can put in the work and attain a Security+ or a Network+ (entry level) certification; how does that relate or 'count' as experience?

It depends on the employer/recruiter I've found. Some do take a Sec+ or such as a sign you have the knowledge even if you don't have the direct experience.

#3) Thinking about your most successful (in terms of employment) entry level certification student; what made them successful?

A+ lets our students start at least getting entry IT jobs. With Sec+ we find they can move into cybersecurity roles. Security+ is one of the highest rated certs for this.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Brian

KGreen

Nov 2, 2021
This is something I'm very interested in, as some people will say "oh, you should ___" when the recommendations are at a higher level than genuine entry level. I'm accumulating details from common certs to make a chart which is easy to see the recommended experience and knowledge. Feel free to contact me. Yes, I'll post when it's done. (Hi Lee.)