Students taking CySA+ without Security+

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    It is recommended for students to have net+ and sec+, prior to proceeding with CySA+
    However, it is not a requirement, just a recommendation.

Reactions: aleibl

aleibl

• Nov 7, 2019
    As Jarrel said, it is a recommendation:
    Recommended ExperienceNetwork+, Security+ or equivalent knowledge.
    When you then go to Network+, it will suggest A+. If you were to follow this religiously, you would always have to do the full stack.

When I got my first CompTIA certifications a few years ago, I needed the CySA+ and I also did Security+ and CASP+ for completeness. I self-studied for all three using paper books. But with 20 years of experience at the time I couldn't be bothered with the more entry certs. I am not suggesting that they are not useful or interesting, it is just a question of available time (and of course accumulated knowledge).

Reactions: Jarrel
    Realistically, students should earn the following certs in the following order:

ITF+
    A+
    Net+
    Sec+
    CySA+

They can theoretically skip some of those certifications if they have the equivalent knowledge or experience. The biggest problem is that many students do not have that equivalent knowledge or experience, and they struggle as a result. Unfortunately, there is no way to enforce the prerequisites because they are recommended not required.

TIIBS Lda

Sep 28, 2021
    Luanda
    www.tiibstechnology.com
    Realistically, students should earn the following certs in the following order:

ITF+
    A+
    Net+
    Sec+
    CySA+

They can theoretically skip some of those certifications if they have the equivalent knowledge or experience. The biggest problem is that many students do not have that equivalent knowledge or experience, and they struggle as a result. Unfortunately, there is no way to enforce the prerequisites because they are recommended not required.
    Agree, mainly for those who are just starting their career path

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Pretty much so. Early in the career, entry level certifications are valuable. On a more advanced level, that knowledge is taken for granted.
    I've made it a policy in my own life that every certification is valuable to a professional. Every single one.

Yeah, a few years back, I took the ITF+ cold turkey, but it was a good exam to see if I remembered the basics well enough to be able to say why they are important to the upper level stuff.

Go for it all. ;)