Taking the Linux+ beta?

I'm going to wait until it's out of beta to write it.

I really liked XK0-004 (well-rounded exam, which the previous LPI-based exams were not).

And the new objectives are even better and more aligned to the needs of industry for both IT pros and developers, so I'm sure I'll like it.
Speaking of developers, I've been writing books for Cengage (formerly Course Technology) geared towards Linux+ since 2002, and I get dozens (sometimes hundreds) of emails from students that use my book each month from all around the world. This past year and a half, I'd say that a third of the people using my book are developer students since Linux administration/devops is now a core skill baked into the front end of most college and university development and comp sci programs!

Last edited:

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
I should check out your books, see if they're better than the Sybex book we use in my current class.
I'm actually the tech editor for most other Linux titles (including the Sybex ones), so I really *shouldn't* comment 😂
But, what I can say, is that my Linux+ Guide to Linux Certification is actually the #1 top-selling Linux textbook in the academic (non-trade) market (3.5 million copies worldwide since the first edition I believe). There is a good reason for this ;-)

Last edited:

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
Thanks for the write-up! That mirrors my experience. I also had what I think was an unsolvable PBQ possibly because of the limited terminal environment.
Me too. There was a malfunction in that simulation, which I seriously hope they've solved by now. It would send most of my students into a panic.

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
I'm actually the tech editor for most other Linux titles (including the Sybex ones), so I really *shouldn't* comment.
... *grabs book from shelf* *leafs to colofon*

Huh, well I'll be! :D

Also... I'm trying to find vendors that carry your book, but wow... Everywhere I look it's €90 - €110. That's steep.

Reactions: jasoneckert
Also... I'm trying to find vendors that carry your book, but wow... Everywhere I look it's €90 - €110. That's steep.
That's the big downside. Even though the quality is there, Cengage books are quite expensive - they're like the Apple of the publishing world.

I think the main reasons for this are that they are very polished (3 editors, 5 reviewers, bigger pipeline) and come with a ton of educational resources (PPTs, testbanks, supplementary labs, case studies, research exercises, MindTap online labs/LMS, etc.). Hence why they stick to the academic markets only.

I'm trying to convince Michael Warren Lucas to write a Linux textbook. I don't think he'll venture out of the BSD realm, but if he ever did write a Linux textbook, I'm sure it'd be hilarious (and good).

Last edited:
That's the big downside. Even though the quality is there, Cengage books are quite expensive - they're like the Apple of the publishing world.

I think the main reasons for this are that they are very polished (3 editors, 5 reviewers, bigger pipeline) and come with a ton of educational resources (PPTs, testbanks, supplementary labs, case studies, research exercises, MindTap online labs/LMS, etc.). Hence why they stick to the academic markets only.

I'm trying to convince Michael Warren Lucas to write a Linux textbook. I don't think he'll venture out of the BSD realm, but if he ever did write a Linux textbook, I'm sure it'd be hilarious (and good) :ROFLMAO:
I guess now would be a good time to mention MWL is a friend of mine (I am a long-time OpenBSD developer).

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
Now you're just making the book sound extra-good again. :D

• Haha