What's happening with CTT+

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Certifications come and go at CompTIA. HealthCare IT was one that I was working on, long ago. Not very diligently, but I was working on it. Well, CompTIA retired it, mostly because it just wasn't that profitable.

It takes a lot of money, time, energy, and planning to start certifications and maintain them. SME's have got to come together, do market studies, plan objectives, create study material, and hope they can recoup that back in testing fees. It's no small matter to do this. Some certifications make back their ROI and are able to keep going, some aren't.

I'm not saying this is the case with CTT+, but when comparing it to other certs, CTT+, which is not even a retiring cert, tends not to garner a lot of attention. I haven't seen that many of them out there in my own travels. I wondered about Server+ and Project+, myself. I'm glad CompTIA is hanging onto those - and I know that Server+ was on the ropes there for a while.

When I look at the CTT+, I see a cert that is in desperate need of overhaul. It's been years since it was rolled out. And there are other organizations that provide "best practices" teaching and training. What I think needs to happen with CTT is an update on how to deliver content on-ground, hybrid, virtually, and integrate the latest releases of CertMaster into that instruction. Since CompTIA has taken so much time and effort to build CertMaster products, I believe that should be a center of CTT, as I see that there are lot of folks who are still trying to get their head around CertMaster, I propose making CTT a certified CertMaster expert. Or maybe even more, make a CertMaster+ designation.

I wouldn't mind being called a CompTIA CertMaster+, with each designations for each cert below it.

If ideas like this arise, they're going to come from THIS forum.

/r

Brian Callahan

• Feb 4, 2022
    Troy, NY
    briancallahan.net
    I wouldn't mind being called a CompTIA CertMaster+, with each designations for each cert below it.
    This right here is a great idea. I too like the sound of being a CompTIA CertMaster+, with specific designations (probably only Security+ for me, but still something!).

~Brian

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    The CTT+ is a good cert, but it lacks that "added value" as compared to Microsoft's MCT or Cisco's CCI.

With vendor certifications, the trainer will not be able to teach their courses unless the trainer is certified in that field AND the trainer is a certified instructor. As of current, I've seen some trainers who aren't even CTT+ who teaches the CompTIA courses [here in Australia] - they just need to be certified technically.

Further, the trainers who are MCT or CCI certified can have free access to all courses offered by the vendor. Sadly, this is not the case for CTT+.

They say that CTT+ is recognized by Microsoft, Adobe, etc - true. But you can also be a trainer for the said vendors via other qualifications as well, anyway.

So, we got CTT+ as a cert which (1) is not a mandatory qualification to have to be a trainer, and (2) which costs money to gain, but not much value to keep. Sad fact.

This may be a good topic to ponder on, for the CompTIA folks who are in this forum.

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    When I look at the CTT+, I see a cert that is in desperate need of overhaul. It's been years since it was rolled out. And there are other organizations that provide "best practices" teaching and training.

I'd love to hear more about these competitors, to see their offerings. Especially if they are decently accredited, without us having to go through a whole MSc level of training. :)

What I think needs to happen with CTT is an update on how to deliver content on-ground, hybrid, virtually, and integrate the latest releases of CertMaster into that instruction.

That would be a surefire way to get me to fully ignore CTT+, to be honest. I very much enjoy that CompTIA certs are vendor-independent, so I would be displeased to see CTT+ become a "Using CompTIA services as a teacher 101".

The fact that CTT+ is currently about didactics, about classroom management and a bit about technical solutions was awesome to me. I personally have zero interest in using CertMaster or any of the official CompTIA resources (way too expensive for my company's tastes), so staying vendor-independent is key to me.

Reactions: Bofy Idiodi
    The CTT+ is a good cert, but it lacks that "added value" as compared to Microsoft's MCT or Cisco's CCI.

With vendor certifications, the trainer will not be able to teach their courses unless the trainer is certified in that field AND the trainer is a certified instructor. As of current, I've seen some trainers who aren't even CTT+ who teaches the CompTIA courses [here in Australia] - they just need to be certified technically.

Further, the trainers who are MCT or CCI certified can have free access to all courses offered by the vendor. Sadly, this is not the case for CTT+.

They say that CTT+ is recognized by Microsoft, Adobe, etc - true. But you can also be a trainer for the said vendors via other qualifications as well, anyway.

So, we got CTT+ as a cert which (1) is not a mandatory qualification to have to be a trainer, and (2) which costs money to gain, but not much value to keep. Sad fact.

This may be a good topic to ponder on, for the CompTIA folks who are in this forum.
    MCT costs $1000 annually to maintain. It also requires that a trainer has proof of some train the trainer certification such as CTT+.

CTT+ is the cost of two exams and you are certified for life.

I gave up my MCT because I find it ridiculous to charge trainers to promote a vendor's proprietary technology. Not to mention that the market is flooded with MCTs. As an MCT Alumni, I still have access to a lot of MCT content.

I don't see the MCT as a "added value" over the CTT+. I view it as a money grab by Microsoft.

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    MCT costs $1000 annually to maintain. It also requires that a trainer has proof of some train the trainer certification such as CTT+.

I don't see the MCT as a "added value" over the CTT+. I view it as a money grab by Microsoft.
    I would say you're right - which is one reason I never pursued it. Doesn't do any good unless you're in a MSFT Certified teaching house of some kind. And I can't really see the annual cost...maybe every three years to recert, perhaps.

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com

CTT+ is the cost of two exams and you are certified for life.

I gave up my MCT because I find it ridiculous to charge trainers to promote a vendor's proprietary technology. Not to mention that the market is flooded with MCTs. As an MCT Alumni, I still have access to a lot of MCT content.

I end my case on MCT 😅
    I guess, MCT is valuable if the org is funding it, and you are doing Microsoft-based training all through out.

But you get what I mean with CTT+ lacking that "value add" right? 🙃

I end my case on MCT 😅
    I guess, MCT is valuable if the org is funding it, and you are doing Microsoft-based training all through out.

But you get what I mean with CTT+ lacking that "value add" right? 🙃

You had to add 2 "ifs" to add value to the MCT. That's not a value add.

True. I guess only a selected few are lucky at that.

But hey, the topic is on CTT+.

What's your take on it?
    It's the best vendor-neutral Train-the-Trainer certification on the market. Vendor specific TTT's have no intrinsic value other than the vendor requires them to teach their proprietary content. The vendors typically don't offer any coursework or courses on TTT, so trainers will have to pick up those skills elsewhere. Microsoft does accept the CompTIA CTT+ as proof of TTT experience, which means it does have value for Microsoft.

And honestly, vendor-specific trainer distinctions don't matter in the real world. Clients don't care if someone is an MCT in good standing. They just care if they get a competent trainer who can help them learn Microsoft technologies. For every "official" Microsoft training course using Microsoft Official Curriculum and a Microsoft Certified Trainer, there are a dozen trainers teaching Microsoft courses using alternate courseware.

The MCT program and the CCI programs are money grabs. At least the CTT+ offers instruction, courseware, and validation that someone can actually teach.

Reactions: Tess Sluijter

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hello, does anyone know for sure what is happening with the CTT+ being discontinued? any replacements? thanks.
    I had a call with my CompTIA business development manager this week, the CTT+ came up as I mentioned that I have the book portion scheduled for early January, and am planning on using a February in-person class for that portion, and was going to do the virtual teaching part as well afterward. (Yes I know both in-person and virtual aren't required but I wanted to do both because I teach both.) He advised me to make sure I get everything done by March. Sounds like it could be going away in March.

Reactions: Tess Sluijter
    Sure enough, if you go to the CTT+ page, there is a notice that the CTT+ will be retiring permanently on March 31, 2023: https://www.comptia.org/certifications/ctt
    That's unfortunate. It was easily the best vendor neutral Trainer certification in the market. Other vendors used it as proof of training certification for their own vendor-specific Trainer certifications.

I might just go ahead and submit the teaching portion of the exam to get my CTT+ before the deadline. I passed the exam part a long time ago.

Reactions: Luca MC

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Hello Everyone! Yes, the rumors are true. Here is the official scoop from CompTIA on the CTT+ Retirement.

The CompTIA CTT+ certification will retire on March 31, 2023. CompTIA will not renew or replace this certification. Therefore, anyone preparing for this exam is encouraged to complete their studies and seek certification prior to the retirement date. Vouchers already purchased for this exam will be valid through March 31st, 2023, and will expire and become void after that date.

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Hello Everyone! Yes, the rumors are true. Here is the official scoop from CompTIA on the CTT+ Retirement.

The CompTIA CTT+ certification will retire on March 31, 2023. CompTIA will not renew or replace this certification. Therefore, anyone preparing for this exam is encouraged to complete their studies and seek certification prior to the retirement date. Vouchers already purchased for this exam will be valid through March 31st, 2023, and will expire and become void after that date.
    Thanks for replying @Stephen Schneiter. Do you have any insight as to whether the exam-only portion must be done by March 31, 2023, or do all of the teaching forms and things need in by then as well? Thanks!

Patrick Lane

Staff member
    Apr 29, 2020
    Hi Abby, here's what was posted on the Pearson VUE CompTIA site at https://home.pearsonvue.com/comptia. It appears it would all need to be wrapped up by March 31, 2023.

CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer (CTT+) certification to permanently retire March 31, 2023

Although the exam will be retiring and CompTIA will no longer be offering this exam, anyone who has received this certification will remain CompTIA CTT+ certified, good for life.