Benchmarking Association Web Sites

Tom McIntyre

May 8, 2020
I administer the discussion forum web site for the National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors.

Their facility was built by Audentio from similar resources to those you are using here. We are about to upgrade from a previous version of the software to the latest version.

Our community consists of people interested in time and timekeeping which is a hobby for the great bulk of members who have careers in other areas. My particular career was in Physiology and Biophysics and the use of computers in automation and research.. I started programming with the MIT Linc computer in 1963. I retired in 2002 and have been volunteering to manage the NAWCC computing infrastructure since then.

I would be interested in talking about how one manages the social interactions represented by the technical discussions in this environment. (i.e. social moderation)

Hello @Tom McIntyre and welcome to the neighborhood. The CompTIA Instructor Network (CIN, pronounced sin) is a group of global instructors who teach tech. we just launched our community here in XenForo helped by Audentio last fall. We are a growing group and currently social interactions are handled and monitored by the group itself. We have a core group of members that I call CIN Ambassadors who help dirve conversations and interactions. Happy to discuss any more of the background activities. Feel free to reach out to me directly.

Hi Stephen, The NAWCC is using a similar configuration as CIN with XenForo, WP and iMIS.

The NAWCC is a 501(c)3 with a museum, membership services and print publications coming from our campus in Columbia PA. Our XenForo site is physically located there also.

We have a consulting group in PA about to officially release our new WP/Gutenberg based main site and another consulting company that has done the iMIS support for us is working with them on the security model and providing iMIS resources as transparently as possible to the WP site and soon to our new XenForo site. I am a volunteer who manages the XenForo software for the group.

We are using Elastic Search with XenForo's Enhanced Search and I, at least, have an interest of incorporating our archive of PDF documents into our on-line assets available to members.That archive is image scans from the documents from 1944 to the early 1990's and desktop publishing sourced PDF files from then until the present.

I am curious what kind of integration CIN is using and what kind of security model you are using for multiple classes of access for your members.