Follow-ups Help You Understand and Use AI

Let follow-ups strengthen your AI embrace​

Anybody looking at AI (Artificial Intelligence) and asking: “How can it make my life easier?” Yes, my fellow instructors here on CIN, I am talking to you. Here’s something built into AI that can help: Follow-ups. You can ask your favorite AI engine a question then write a follow-up to give you a more concise answer. Here’s how.

Follow-ups help you understand and use AI​

Spinning yellow globe-head.gifI am using Perplexity Pro, available at https://perplexity.ai. Here’s my first prompting example: “How much water should a 50-year-old man drink each day?” Perplexity answers with:

For a 50-year-old man, the general recommendation for daily water intake is about 15.5 cups, which is equivalent to approximately 3.7 liters or 125 ounces of fluids per day. This guideline includes all fluids consumed, not just plain water. About 20% of this fluid intake typically comes from food, with the remaining 80% from beverages. However, individual water needs can vary based on several factors:

• Activity Level: Increased physical activity, especially in hot or humid conditions, can increase water needs due to higher sweat losses.
  • Climate and Environment: Living in hot, dry, or high-altitude areas can increase fluid requirements.
  • Health Conditions: Certain health issues or medications may affect hydration needs. For example, conditions like diabetes or medications such as diuretics can increase fluid loss.
  • Age: As people age, their sense of thirst can diminish, making it important to consciously ensure adequate fluid intake.
It’s important to note that while these are general guidelines, the best approach is to listen to your body. Drinking enough water to maintain clear, pale urine and adjusting intake based on thirst and activity level are practical strategies to ensure proper hydration.

It is HOT outside​

Let’s follow-up this answer. I can add more info to create a more valuable answer. In the same thread, the prompt box presents, “Ask follow-up.” OK. Let’s do that. I type: “and the man works outside and the high temperatures this week will surpass 100 degrees Fahrenheit.” Perplexity answers with:

When working outside in high temperatures, such as those exceeding 100 degrees Fahrenheit, it is crucial to increase water intake to prevent dehydration and heat-related illnesses. For a 50-year-old man working in such conditions, the following hydration guidelines are recommended:

• Drink Regularly: Consume approximately 1 cup (8 ounces) of water every 15 to 20 minutes. This equates to about 0.75 to 1 quart (24 to 32 ounces) per hour.
  • Avoid Overhydration: Do not exceed 48 ounces (1.5 quarts) of water per hour to avoid hyponatremia, a condition caused by low sodium levels in the blood due to excessive water intake.
  • Electrolyte Replacement: Consider drinking beverages with electrolytes, such as sports drinks, especially during prolonged periods of sweating, to replenish lost minerals like sodium and potassium.
Additionally, it is important to take regular breaks in shaded or cooler areas and to monitor for signs of dehydration and heat-related illnesses, such as dizziness, fatigue, or muscle cramps. Adjusting work schedules to cooler parts of the day and wearing appropriate clothing can also help mitigate heat stress.

Reading level​

You can write (or let your AI engine write) content and check the Flesh-Kincaid grade reading level. Wikipedia has a fantastic article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flesch–Kincaid_readability_tests#Flesch–Kincaid_grade_level. Getting back to business… I type: “and respond at a 6th grade reading level.” Perplexity answers with:

When it’s really hot outside, like over 100 degrees, and you’re working outside, it’s super important to drink more water to stay safe and healthy. Here are some simple tips:

• Drink Often: Try to drink about a cup of water every 15 to 20 minutes. That’s about 3 to 4 cups every hour.
  • Don’t Drink Too Much: It’s important not to drink more than 6 cups of water in an hour so you don’t get sick from too much water.
  • Electrolytes: Sometimes, it’s good to drink sports drinks. They help replace important things like salt that you lose when you sweat a lot.
Also, make sure to take breaks in the shade and watch out for signs that you might need more water, like feeling dizzy or tired. If you can, try to work during the cooler parts of the day and wear light, breathable clothes.
Just easier and more friendly, right? That’s because this verbiage is for those reading at a 6th grade reading level. Although this means kids in Junior High, it is also the reading level of several prominent newspapers. Sad. Sad. Sad. I know. Getting back to business… I type one more prompt: “and make this a Facebook post.” Perplexity answers with:

🌞 **Stay Hydrated in the Heat!** 🌞
Hey everyone! With temperatures soaring over 100 degrees this week, it’s super important to stay hydrated, especially if you’re working outside. Here are some easy tips to keep in mind:

💧 Drink Often: Aim for about a cup of water every 15 to 20 minutes. That’s around 3 to 4 cups an hour!

🚫 Don’t Overdo It: Be careful not to drink more than 6 cups in an hour to avoid feeling sick.

🥤 Electrolytes are Key: Consider sipping on sports drinks to replace important stuff like salt that you lose when you sweat.

Remember to take breaks in the shade and watch out for signs of dehydration, like feeling dizzy or tired. If possible, try to work during cooler parts of the day and wear light, comfy clothes. Stay safe and cool out there! 😎💦
#StayHydrated #BeatTheHeat #SummerSafety.”

Even more fun than the previous answer​

This is the easiest read. It also has cute emoticons, which Perplexity feels work well at Facebook. You polish your shoes to reach a better shine. You polish your AI prompts to reach better answers. Although I could have put all the prompts in one long run-on sentence, I was showing your follow-ups help you reach an answer that works. In case your wondering about all the “ands” in my prompts, see https://cybersafetynet.net/and-and-and-perplexity-ai-and-and-and/ to understand why I do that. Enjoy.

More​

AI ain’t so tough. See https://cybersafetynet.net/category/ai/ to help understand and use Artificial intelligence.