"Monitoring in AWS" Lab instructions need update

The instructions for the CASP+ lab "Assisted Lab: Configure Monitoring in the AWS Cloud" are no longer correct.
The instructions in the section "Use Cloudwatch Events to Alert on Changes" do not match the AWS UI.
The lab instructions need to be updated.
I filed a support request with Skillable, however I don't know when or if this will be fixed, so I thought I should warn other instructors.

[Edited on 1 July 2024 to remove "Cloudwatch has been replaced by Event Bridge"]

Last edited:

abiodun1991

• Mar 17, 2022
    Nigeria
    minazconsult.org
    The instructions for the CASP+ lab "Assisted Lab: Configure Monitoring in the AWS Cloud" are no longer correct.
    The instructions in the section "Use Cloudwatch Events to Alert on Changes" do not match the AWS UI.
    Cloudwatch has been replaced by Event Bridge, and the lab instructions need to be updated.
    I filed a support request with Skillable, however I don't know when or if this will be fixed, so I thought I should warn other instructors.
    please can you give us update on how do it.
    if that any time that is going to helpful in the platform i am interested but let us understand it better
    thank you

Reactions: Hank Cox

Brian Ford

• Jul 15, 2021
    Flagler Beach, FL
    fordsnotes.com
    Cloudwatch has been replaced by Event Bridge, and the lab instructions need to be updated.
    Not exactly right, CloudWatch Events is now called EventBridge. CloudWatch still exists.

dlross

• Jun 9, 2023
    Not exactly right, CloudWatch Events is now called EventBridge. CloudWatch still exists.
    Most definitely. Just elaborating out for the OP- CloudWatch is to be used for monitoring. EventBridge is to be used for event-driven architecture. It is being used to respond to your alarms and initiate automated workflows in response to alarms and events. It's an extension of CloudWatch now.

CloudWatch ain't goin' nowhere. :)

Reactions: Hank Cox
    Most definitely. Just elaborating out for the OP- CloudWatch is to be used for monitoring. EventBridge is to be used for event-driven architecture. It is being used to respond to your alarms and initiate automated workflows in response to alarms and events. It's an extension of CloudWatch now.

CloudWatch ain't goin' nowhere. :)
    dlross, thank you for the explanation! I have removed that part of the original post.

Reactions: dlross
    please can you give us update on how do it.
    if that any time that is going to helpful in the platform i am interested but let us understand it better
    thank you
    abiodun1991, thank you for your request. Thank you also Brian and dlross for explaining the changes at AWS.

I noticed the outdated lab steps while teaching a CASP+ class last week. The students needed help since the lab instructions were incorrect. There was a warning shown in AWS about using EventBridge, and I told the students how to work around the outdated instructions to complete the lab. I did not record the corrected lab steps.

If anyone here has rewritten the lab instructions to match the current AWS user interface, please share your work.

On June 28, CompTIA support said: "This will be forwarded to our subject matter expert for review. This review may take some time, and we appreciate your patience." I will follow up when they respond.