Question: SY0-701 Lab - Using Containers

jarrelrivera

Aug 15, 2019
Australia
www.jarrelrivera.com
Good day!

Need your input on the question from the SY0-701 Lab re: Using containers. The question is, "How do you enter a container session for 'MyContainer'"?

I understand that a container needs to be started first, before you exec it hence, docker start is the answer

1718496238749.png

However, there was no premise that was stated in the question, so many of the students thought that the answer is docker exec - based on the laboratory instructions.

1718496401740.png

Some may argue that the keyword at the end should be cmd however, powershell can actually be used in docker in real life scenario.

What do you think?

abiodun1991

• Mar 17, 2022
    Nigeria
    minazconsult.org
    Good day!

Need your input on the question from the SY0-701 Lab re: Using containers. The question is, "How do you enter a container session for 'MyContainer'"?

I understand that a container needs to be started first, before you exec it hence, docker start is the answer

View attachment 1747

However, there was no premise that was stated in the question, so many of the students thought that the answer is docker exec - based on the laboratory instructions.

View attachment 1748

Some may argue that the keyword at the end should be cmd however, powershell can actually be used in docker in real life scenario.

What do you think?
    I did not known, if anybody that has been using can teach us it will be more helpful in this platform.

BrianFord

Jun 26, 2023
    Flagler Beach, FL
    fordsnotes.com
    J,

Interesting point. I think you're calling out the difference between using and administering a container. I read that question as use the container app. I know some of my students who have taken the lab appreciated it as it broadened their knowledge (most never used containers before) and helped them understand how to administer a container. I had a student who used containerized apps in their job and thought that they were simply replaced by new containers when obsolete and appreciated seeing they could be maintained.

I'd suggest that all of us CertMaster instructors make sure we present this to students in class.

Brian

jarrelrivera

Aug 15, 2019
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    I agree. Container is really a good topic for the students.
    I make it a point that the students understand containers in almost all certs - A+ core 2, Linux+, Server+, cloud+, network+, security+, etc

However, back to my question...
    How do you enter a container session?
    Which is it? docker start or docker exec?

abiodun1991

• Mar 17, 2022
    Nigeria
    minazconsult.org
    I agree. Container is really a good topic for the students.
    I make it a point that the students understand containers in almost all certs - A+ core 2, Linux+, Server+, cloud+, network+, security+, etc

However, back to my question...
    How do you enter a container session?
    Which is it? docker start or docker exec?
    Yes, that is exactly what I am asking.
    How can we enter the container.