AIPS and PIDS?

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
I just went through the Practice Question for the 701 Version: (did you see this question?)

An AIPS actively monitors the network traffic. It can modify and automatically block malicious real-time traffic, fulfilling the administrator's requirements.

A PIDS merely detects and alerts suspicious activity but does not take automatic actions to block or modify traffic. Thus, it will not meet the requirement of real-time threat mitigation.
--
Never heard about this out side this Questions.. )and they are not mentioned in the Course Book either.
An IDS is always passive , and an IPS always active . So using these terms here is not correct, since the termn is incorrect.
-> pleonasm

google finds only
for AIPS. (a= advanced)

I reported it as false..

But what you think?
Did u use these Terms in your courses?

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
Probably a typo. What would the answer be if an AIPS is a HIPS and a PIDS is a NIDS?
Na, can`t be a typo, since the Explanation explains it:

An AIPS actively monitors the network traffic. It can modify and automatically block malicious real-time traffic, fulfilling the administrator's requirements.

A PIDS merely detects and alerts suspicious activity but does not take automatic actions to block or modify traffic. Thus, it will not meet the requirement of real-time threat mitigation.

If you remove the P and A on the beginning, it would make sense, but then the Answers where wrong..

Michael

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
When did CompTIA change IPS to AIPS and IDS to PIDS? Will anybody else in the industry redo their acronyms? Our industry embraces Man-in-the-Middle and DMZ while CompTIA tries implementing inclusive substitute verbiage.
I think they they not introduce AIPS and PIDS, that was something wrong from the Author, it is not in the Courseware, but if you run the course and the Students ; it is a question in Lesson 9. So, Students would ask about that i believe.

In all Courses, (even not CompTIA) i tell them about this NameChanges. That they need to learn both Versions. Old Articles will not change their text.
To be Fair: Perimeter Network is a term, that Microsoft uses since ober 15 years. But On Path Attack, that is mostly withhin CompTIA.
(Different Topic, but there is still Man in the Browser, in the Cloud and in the Disk Attack; no new name for that also).
We had an Discussion back then, we still can open a new one abput this topic..
I.

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
This is the Official Answer from CompTIA Support:
. A subject matter expert has thoroughly reviewed this concern, and we feel that the content is accurate and representative of the exam objective that it is addressing. PIDS and IDS are synonymous, as IDS is passive

So be aware to explain that in the Course, even it is not mentioned anywhere in the Courseware.

I wonder why there is a Support, when 99% of my Inquiries about Errors are rejected, because the SME seems to feel that i doubt his Competence and they never change such things...
We has Trainer have to live with their nonsense Stuff, and Students wonder what we talk about, when such Acronyms are used, but nowhere else. I have in 20 years never heard of this Acronyms before.

Michael

This is the Official Answer from CompTIA Support:

So be aware to explain that in the Course, even it is not mentioned anywhere in the Courseware.

I wonder why there is a Support, when 99% of my Inquiries about Errors are rejected, because the SME seems to feel that i doubt his Competence and they never change such things...
We has Trainer have to live with their nonsense Stuff, and Students wonder what we talk about, when such Acronyms are used, but nowhere else. I have in 20 years never heard of this Acronyms before.

Michael
Michael,
Sorry to read you are down on CompTIA Support. They are really working hard to try and make the product great. In this instance I believe that the SME may be CompTIA staff and the Security+ Product Manager will probably be looking at this thread.
On behalf of all of us CINers thank you for raising this issue.
Happy Holidays!
Brian

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
Michael,
Sorry to read you are down on CompTIA Support. They are really working hard to try and make the product great. In this instance I believe that the SME may be CompTIA staff and the Security+ Product Manager will probably be looking at this thread.
On behalf of all of us CINers thank you for raising this issue.
Happy Holidays!
Brian
We all work hard to make it better.
Sometimes we Trainer are the better SME, then the Folks sitting in this Group...
The Acronym is not even in the Offical Exam objectives.
Assume this: You are doing this Course in Self Study. You go through the Questions and see this as an Answre.
You are confused. When you read then the Explanation to the Question, you will understand it.
Problem is: This is the correct answer then. None of the Others, known Acronyms.. If it where on of the wrongs and to confuse you, that would be ok..

What would you do, if that shows up in the Real Question...
Anybody: When and how often have you seen or used this Acronyms?

Michael

I think they they not introduce AIPS and PIDS, that was something wrong from the Author, it is not in the Courseware, but if you run the course and the Students ; it is a question in Lesson 9. So, Students would ask about that i believe.

In all Courses, (even not CompTIA) i tell them about this NameChanges. That they need to learn both Versions. Old Articles will not change their text.
To be Fair: Perimeter Network is a term, that Microsoft uses since ober 15 years. But On Path Attack, that is mostly withhin CompTIA.
(Different Topic, but there is still Man in the Browser, in the Cloud and in the Disk Attack; no new name for that also).
We had an Discussion back then, we still can open a new one abput this topic..
I.
I'm thinking...yes. Let's reopen the topic. CompTIA is not doing students justice by springing their exclusive terms on exams even though students cannot find them elsewhere.

So they are trying to let the student have something easier to remember, A for Active and P for passive? Whereas an IPS is actively shutting down the threat and the IDS is Passively letting it through? I can pronounce PIDS but having a harder time with AIPS.

Originally was thinking Automated and Programmatic, but the Active and Passive fits just never seen it listed like that. Ever.

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
Support
So they are trying to let the student have something easier to remember, A for Active and P for passive? Whereas an IPS is actively shutting down the threat and the IDS is Passively letting it through? I can pronounce PIDS but having a harder time with AIPS.

Originally was thinking Automated and Programmatic, but the Active and Passive fits just never seen it listed like that. Ever.
No, this Acronym does not male sense, if CompTIA or the SME are the nly one using it, and IDS and IPS are already defined as passive / active.
I would not complain, if the official Courseware had this Acronyms mentioned, but they don`t.
Support told me this last week:
We have modified the content for greater clarity.

So check the Questions by yourself how this is solved and if ypu get along with this.