Antivirus as example of Physical Security?

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I saw one slide from Comptia official documentation that listed "Antivirus Software" as a example of Physical Security.
    I never heard that before so I was wondering if any of you have seen that statement before.
    I would have a very difficult time even stretching that one to fit. By definition, a computer virus is a logical piece of code designed to infect files (also logical things) in order to propagate itself in a system. Even if you expand it out to anti-malware, everything that's done in the malware world is logical - and although it can have an effect on physical things, such as the operation of a server or network, it is, itself a logical thing.

So it stands to reason that anti-virus/malware also is logical.

Perhaps if you took physical means of controlling the propagation of malware, such as air-gapping systems (much like quarantining and isolating an infected patient), but that's probably the only way to make that fit, in my opinion.

Hank Cox

Sep 12, 2023
    Atlanta, Georgia, US
    hsec.tech
    Thanks everyone!
    I wanted to double check with all of you before sharing the feedback with Comptia.
    Thanks for reporting this to CompTIA!
    I've noticed some errors in the content, however I don't know how to get them fixed.
    Did you get a reply from CompTIA, and have they corrected the content?