Anyone using the Raspberry Pi in a Networking Class?

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Has anyone ever used the Raspberry Pi as a teaching tool in a Network + class? Are you aware of any materials that could help integrate some Pi labs into this course. Thanks

Victor Rezmovic Montgomery College MD
    We have on a couple of occasions, but only as more of a client. But of course, a Pi could be used for any server application, or to run a UFW firewall...seems like there would be no end to ideas for one. Maybe load VyOS on the Pi and use it as a basic router. Not that a consumer grade Linksys/Netgear wouldn't serve this purpose (although those really are designed to support one subnet's access to the internet), but there has got to be a tutorial or two for that.

Just my un-caffeinated 2¢...

/r

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    As Rick says: the possibilities are endless, but it's up to you to figure out what to do with it.

The way things are right now, it looks like you have a solution for you which you are trying to find a problem. :D

So, instead of saying "what can I use a Raspberry Pi for in my class?", ask "which labs or exercises would provide value to my students?". And after a few hours of thinking and designing it could come up that an RPi could be helpful, yes...

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    So, instead of saying "what can I use a Raspberry Pi for in my class?", ask "which labs or exercises would provide value to my students?". And after a few hours of thinking and designing it could come up that an RPi could be helpful, yes...
    I'll even take that a step further to suggest an exercise for your students.

Provide x number of examples of how one can use a Raspberry Pi for a networking application.

1639068760558.png