Average Success Rate

WillieJoe3

Jun 22, 2020
Greetings all!

I work for an organization that is expecting an 85% success rate, even during the pandemic. To them, success is defined by certified students. This was a pretty high standard to maintain, pre covid. I wanted to know if any one of my peers has been able to achieve this level of certification. If so, what is your secret? If you could share your success rate, that would be great as well. Thanks!

Greetings all!

I work for an organization that is expecting an 85% success rate, even during the pandemic. To them, success is defined by certified students. This was a pretty high standard to maintain, pre covid. I wanted to know if any one of my peers has been able to achieve this level of certification. If so, what is your secret? If you could share your success rate, that would be great as well. Thanks!
Good day Will,

I spent 8 years teaching CompTIA, A+, Network+ and Cisco NetAcad course at a technology high school in North Carolina. My first 2 years were great! I did not reach a goal of 85%, but the majority of my students completed the A+, Network+ and CCNA. Also, one student went on to complete his Security+ and now works for Mandaite as a Cyber Security Analyst. My remaining six years went downhill because 85% of the students had no desire to become IT Professionals. They (e.g., students) spent more time destroying equipment and being disruptive in class. Fortunately, a full-time position at a college in North Carolina opened and I returned to teach at the college level.

As for your question, one item we often discussed (e.g., peers) is interviewing students before admitting them into our technology program. However, this idea was dropped at the table and never spoken of again.

Good luck,

Larry
=A=

...and their marketing was pretty weak. I tried gaining the certification one step below Certified Ethical Hacker. Their support reps were unable to help me get the curriculum I wanted. I ended up going straight to CEH. The books arrived and one had the pages backwards. Yes, page 1 was at the back. I had to read the book from back to front. 600 pages in the wrong order.

I attended a convention a few weeks after receiving the books and told a radio host it was like EC-Council was not seriously running a business. He nodded his head in agreement. Was not expecting that.

However, they do have a cert with the words Ethical Hacker in the title. I have been able to use that in my marketing.

85% seems really unrealistic for CompTIA exams. They are hard on purpose and generally well respected for it.
I agree with Lee. There are many factors that go into a successful pass rate for any certification exam. CompTIA exams are particularly hard to gauge because of their breadth of knowledge, and the exam “style”. Seasoned professionals often struggle with CompTIA exams. So, I encourage my students to work through practice exams from multiple sources as they are preparing for the exams. I also suggest a structured prep schedule that includes targeted content review and practice leading up to their exam date.