Best Case Practice for Teaching Security+ SY0 601 and will new training material be used for SY0 701

Bert313

May 4, 2021
Good afternoon Cinners,

I'd appreciate some feedback pertaining to the teaching format of Security+. I'm training a course starting July 24th (Monday)

I'll be taaching 3.5 - 4hrs per day, 3 days per week. The goal is to complete 1 lesson per day. I do realize that each lesson has more than one topic, but I feel this may be doable.

The duration of the class will be 2 months. I can modify the training to whereas they do one or two topics in a lesson as homework, or I can go 4 days per week.

Do you think that 1 lesson in a 4 hour period is doable or should I use one of the other options I mentioned?

Lastly, will there be a new training version soon for the SY0 - 701?

With Appreciation,

-Robert Sewell

Reactions: Indranil
Hey Robert:

That should be do-able, as long as you can be flexible with your teaching schedule and not necessarily locked in. You're proposing 72-84 contact hours, which I think is good for Security+, assuming that the students in the class come in with a Network+ requisite amount of knowledge/experience/certification.

As for 701, that's projected for November 2023, so I wouldn't expect to see the training material for the 701 appear until later in the year.

/r

Bert313

May 4, 2021
Hey Robert:

That should be do-able, as long as you can be flexible with your teaching schedule and not necessarily locked in. You're proposing 72-84 contact hours, which I think is good for Security+, assuming that the students in the class come in with a Network+ requisite amount of knowledge/experience/certification.

As for 701, that's projected for November 2023, so I wouldn't expect to see the training material for the 701 appear until later in the year.

/r
Thanks for the follow up. These students are newbies... should I cancel the training and have them take some entry level networking course or move forward with the Security+ training?

Thanks for the follow up. These students are newbies... should I cancel the training and have them take some entry level networking course or move forward with the Security+ training?
If they are brand new and have never had prerequisite training in computers or networking, I would not even try teaching them Security+. I've tried. It was a disaster. Start with A+ or even ITF+ if they are that green and build them up the core from there.

Dhana Womantech

Jun 7, 2023
Good afternoon Cinners,

I'd appreciate some feedback pertaining to the teaching format of Security+. I'm training a course starting July 24th (Monday)

I'll be taaching 3.5 - 4hrs per day, 3 days per week. The goal is to complete 1 lesson per day. I do realize that each lesson has more than one topic, but I feel this may be doable.

The duration of the class will be 2 months. I can modify the training to whereas they do one or two topics in a lesson as homework, or I can go 4 days per week.

Do you think that 1 lesson in a 4 hour period is doable or should I use one of the other options I mentioned?

Lastly, will there be a new training version soon for the SY0 - 701?

With Appreciation,

-Robert Sewell
Robert,
I will teach Sec+ soon as well. Can you help me?

If they are brand new and have never had prerequisite training in computers or networking, I would not even try teaching them Security+. I've tried. It was a disaster. Start with A+ or even ITF+ if they are that green and build them up the core from there.
I agree, without network+ background, huge disaster.

Reactions: Rick Butler
I agree, without network+ background, huge disaster.
I've always agreed that a solid understanding of Networking is crucial to success on the Security+. But I've also believed that not everyone who needs to take the Security+ needs to be somewhere in the neighborhood of a CCNA in order to be successful in security. It comes from a lack of granularity in certifications, which, CompTIA is trying to fix with the modular certs.

Of course, there's a tradeoff on that granularity because you can have a cert for every role under the rainbow, but if those certs aren't profitable to justify the development time for the curriculum (certs like Healthcare IT+, CTT+, and such), then they fall off the vine, yet leaving a hole for validating skills.

It's an ongoing and changing landscape.