Certification Magazine Article - Improve your certification exam results with intelligent guessing and time management

Wanted to share an article I wrote, detailing test-taking processes I've used over the years and shared with my students.

Good piece. Thanks for sharing.

One thing that we all encountered on the CASP+ were Virtual Simulator questions. Presented with an actual containerized computer environment, candidates were required to perform tasks in a real environment. This is a step up from the PBQ's that we've all experienced previously. I can certainly see these showing up on certification exams in the future.

/r

Reactions: Joel M

Joel M

Aug 7, 2019
Good piece. Thanks for sharing.

One thing that we all encountered on the CASP+ were Virtual Simulator questions. Presented with an actual containerized computer environment, candidates were required to perform tasks in a real environment. This is a step up from the PBQ's that we've all experienced previously. I can certainly see these showing up on certification exams in the future.

/r
That particular containerized question was, I would guess, what burned me. It wouldn't load correctly, wasn't very responsive... But I'm sure if I had gotten the percentage of the questions correct...So I did fail the exam.

Sorry to hear that happened. For me, the container worked out pretty well. Personally, I like the idea, as it allows people to actually demonstrate their skills rather than have a 25% of getting a question right but not really knowing what the question is asking. I hope to see more of this kind of thing in future exams, but obviously, the onus will be to making sure those containers don't have problems while the candidate is working the scenario.

Yeah, there is an appeal process for those - not sure if your situation would warrant a retake on those grounds. But don't give up on CASP+. It's a good badge to have and you can get there, if you're not there already. :)

Edna Chimpeni

Jan 19, 2022
Wanted to share an article I wrote, detailing test-taking processes I've used over the years and shared with my students.

Thank you Steve for sharing this. It is a master piece to use not only to students even myself as I prepare for my other certifications. Thank you.

First "master piece" I've created..... But I can't take all the credit. The 13 rules of guessing were contained in a bar review course I took many decades ago. BTW, with complete retirement only 3 months away, I'm trashing the following email from CompTIA:

This is a friendly reminder that your CompTIA Cloud+ ce certification will expire on Feb 04, 2025. While that is still a couple years away, it is important to think about how you might renew your certification so that you have ample time to prepare. Most importantly, we do not want you to miss out on opportunities to maintain the investment you have made in becoming certified.

Discover all the options available for earning Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to renew your certification(s) and select the path that best meets your needs.

Have questions? We are here to help! You can reach us at 866.835.8020. Our representatives are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT. You may also visit our online Help section, where you can review FAQs or submit an online help request.

Sincerely,

CompTIA Certification Team