Changing email address/login...

Steve F.

Mar 6, 2022
My company has changed its name, and as a result my email address has changed. When I attempt to edit my email address by clicking the "Change" button under "Account Details", I get a message that says changes were saved, but am offered no opportunity to actually edit the address. I am somewhat concerned that I will no longer receive notifications surrounding TTT sessions or other correspondence once my company mothballs the old email domain.

I have attempted to ask a number of the different Sysadmins on here, to no avail. Hoping posting here will make it more likely my request will be seen by the right person.

Thanks in advance!

Also still anxiously awaiting my DataSys+ voucher, but that's a different conversation!

Reactions: Joel M
Solution
My company has changed its name, and as a result my email address has changed. When I attempt to edit my email address by clicking the "Change" button under "Account Details", I get a message that says changes were saved, but am offered no opportunity to actually edit the address. I am somewhat concerned that I will no longer receive notifications surrounding TTT sessions or other correspondence once my company mothballs the old email domain.

I have attempted to ask a number of the different Sysadmins on here, to no avail. Hoping posting here will make it more likely my request will be seen by the right person.

Thanks in advance!

Also still anxiously awaiting my DataSys+ voucher, but that's a different conversation!
Let's...
What they should have done is:
1. Create a new email domain.
2. Create aliases for all mailboxes in the new domain.
3. For all users, make the alias email addresses the users' new primary.

For example. Suppose you work for abc.com and they change their name to def.com.
1. All users access mailboxes at abc.com. This includes [email protected].
2. The network admin creates aliases for all users in def.com. Joe Smith now has a mailbox [email protected] and alias [email protected].
3. The network admin changes Joe's primary to [email protected] while [email protected] becomes an alias.

While I realize you were asking about logging into your CIN account, I think your firm has additional issues. Clients and suppliers will not update their records. The network admin should not have killed the original email addresses. He should have followed the checklist (above). He can still create aliases to let you access resources and receive email sent to your old address.

Reactions: Fanuel

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu

Thanks in advance!

Let's tag @Stephen Schneiter - and see if he's able to assist with that. /r

Solution

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
    Germany
    www.linkedin.com
    This is, why i recommend to students not to use company Email Adresses for Certifications or Logins, since switching Company can also happens. As long as the Vendor does not require the Company Email adress (which some do, but not CompTIA). And Accounts belong to the User not to the Company usually.
    Which does not help you here and now. But usually contacting the Vendor Support is the best and fastest Way to fix such a Problem.
    If you recieve Updates via Email about Topics you created on the new address, it seams to work. If not, that the Change was not made...
    You may check your Settings with Account Details:
    1699650600247.png
    Check Boxes if needed.

Michael

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
    Germany
    www.linkedin.com
    Michael, if you read my original post, you will note that I did check the settings by going to Account Details, and the button to change the email did not work. I don't need help finding the setting, I need someone to fix the button.

I should also point out that I understand that people switch companies. My personal CompTIA login that my certifications are listed under is with my personal email. However, CIN required that I register with a business email.

Thank you to everyone for the wonderful advice. I've been a technical trainer for one of the world's largest computer training companies for most of the last couple of decades, so I can appreciate everyone's willingness to help. That said, I don't need advice; I just need someone to fix the button.
    I did read it, and again, reporting that error is for the Helpdesk via Ticket not the Forum (or if there is a Sub Forum for Bugs) and not the Open Forum for everything else, imho. Sure, this is a small Community, lot of People know each other, and there are CompTIA Stuff around and we try to help. But a Post may not be the Best and fastest way to solve your Problem. Since Support can look in your Account and my change it directly.
    If you work in IT for decades you should be familiar with that. So do not blame us, when we tell (for others, again) how to avoid this Problem)
    But my Advise was to avoid that Problem at all from the beginning also for others, and to avoid it in the future.

Hope Stephen can support you in fixing the Problem (i saw yesterday some Bugs in the Achivements , that i reportet 2 years ago, and are still there). But i will leave the discussion here. You got advise where to ask, and more can`t be done from us here, imho.

typo edited.
    Regards
    Michael

Last edited:
    Yes, Rick was of great help!
    Thanks Steve. Stephen is usually pretty quick on the draw to get things squared away. The only time things get delayed is if 1) he's waiting on an answer from CompTIA or waiting for them to process (usually the case with Vouchers), or 2) CompTIA has him flying all over God's creation to for this conference or that.

Glad you got what you needed sorted. Reach out to me if I can help with anything else. /r

What they should have done is:
    1. Create a new email domain.
    2. Create aliases for all mailboxes in the new domain.
    3. For all users, make the alias email addresses the users' new primary.

For example. Suppose you work for abc.com and they change their name to def.com.
    1. All users access mailboxes at abc.com. This includes [email protected].
    2. The network admin creates aliases for all users in def.com. Joe Smith now has a mailbox [email protected] and alias [email protected].
    3. The network admin changes Joe's primary to [email protected] while [email protected] becomes an alias.

While I realize you were asking about logging into your CIN account, I think your firm has additional issues. Clients and suppliers will not update their records. The network admin should not have killed the original email addresses. He should have followed the checklist (above). He can still create aliases to let you access resources and receive email sent to your old address.
    I agree with you 100%