Charging Instructors for Lab Access....really?

Dr. Furstenberg

Mar 22, 2020
Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue when trying to create and run a course using the "new" CompTIA official hosted labs (really just the old rebranded Learn on Demand (LOD) labs).

I do not want to build out the lab environments locally and want to use a cloud provider; for a number of pragmatic reasons.

However; CompTIA and LOD have stated the following;

1. They make you (the instructor) PAY for lab access.
-- Charging instructors for access - when we are being an advocate for a vendor, one that brings paying students every term is simply misguided and wrongheaded.

2. Will only provide 30-day complimentary access to the labs
-- 30 days does no one any good.
-- Here is the real world… instructors need year-round access to content to build/revise courses.
-- AND.... after that, you have to pay.

Here is the real world as I see it - Instructors need year-round access to content to build/revise courses.
I like to use a certification vendor's "official resources" so I was happy when CompTIA stated they were "creating a new environment" but instead found that they simply rebranded the old LOD labs.

Due to this "policy", one is forced into to support other vendors; vendors that understand what instructors go thru ( and there are a lot of them).

It is just shocking that this is the official CompTIA stance, with the assumption being that its about money ( always about money). I assume they have to pay LOD for anyone's lab access, including the instructor...well if this is the case, perhaps someone at CompTIA should renegotiate this contract for those of us in the trenches providing a revenue stream.

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
Well the thing is, we're not CompTIA employees are we? At least, most of us aren't.

I would assume an official partner, that has paid for the partnership, to be given free access to resources and labs. But someone like myself, who's not a paying partner? I can totally understand CompTIA wanting some dough from me.

I'd say this is more an issue with the partner contracts, defining the services we get from CompTIA for specific fees.

EDIT:
I'm actually curious... One of the companies I work for is an Academic Partner and supposedly one of the benefits is:

Instructional Resources:
  • CompTIA-approved learning materials

So... Are they supposed to actually gain access to free PDFs or books? Or are they allowed to buy specific books? It doesn't clearly stipulate...

Last edited:

Ramasankar

Nov 19, 2019
Well the thing is, we're not CompTIA employees are we? At least, most of us aren't.

I would assume an official partner, that has paid for the partnership, to be given free access to resources and labs. But someone like myself, who's not a paying partner? I can totally understand CompTIA wanting some dough from me.

I'd say this is more an issue with the partner contracts, defining the services we get from CompTIA for specific fees.

EDIT:
I'm actually curious... One of the companies I work for is an Academic Partner and supposedly one of the benefits is:

Instructional Resources:
  • CompTIA-approved learning materials

So... Are they supposed to actually gain access to free PDFs or books? Or are they allowed to buy specific books? It doesn't clearly stipulate...

As a Partner we get the manuals and labs at a Partner price depending whether you are a Silver, Gold or Platinum partner the pricing differs. This pricing is cheaper than the published price.