**Chinese hackers allegedly target US infrastructure as 'Volt Typhoon' **

There have been articles in the news this week of China state-sponsored threats against the US infrastructure - none of which ever surprise me.

I know, here on CIN, we're international, so we have to be a bit sparing in our comments on where cyberattacks originate. And I am definitely not one to say that the US doesn't play reindeer games of its own.

As cyber professionals, what can we do?
Stay vigilant. Communicate. Share. Discuss. Develop a combat mindset.

My 12th Commandment on Information Security is: "Open disclosure is good for security". Talking about the threats that we all face, the situations that we deal with in our environments, how we teach our students, and all that is how we fight back.

I know that sometimes, getting compromised is embarrassing. No one, particularly here, wants to say, "yep, we had an incident last week and although I study and teach this stuff, I still got hit". We have to put the egos in the box and be supporting professionals with each other, by asking questions of each other, even if we are CASP's/CISSPs/etc. That's one thing that I see - that ego closes that communication.

I would say, for required reading, since this conversation opened up with China, CIN'ers should all read Sun Tzu's Art of War and think about cyber and condition ourselves and our students to treat this, not as some 'company function', but as warfare. I guarantee our adversaries are doing that.

Here's a little primer: https://www.securitymagazine.com/ar...pply-sun-tzus-the-art-of-war-to-cybersecurity
And here's a text in PDF: https://ia903407.us.archive.org/35/items/TheArtOfWarBySunTzu/ArtOfWar.pdf

/r

Cyber Russ

• Nov 5, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    www.facebook.com
    There have been articles in the news this week of China state-sponsored threats against the US infrastructure - none of which ever surprise me.

I know, here on CIN, we're international, so we have to be a bit sparing in our comments on where cyberattacks originate. And I am definitely not one to say that the US doesn't play reindeer games of its own.

Stay vigilant. Communicate. Share. Discuss. Develop a combat mindset.

My 12th Commandment on Information Security is: "Open disclosure is good for security". Talking about the threats that we all face, the situations that we deal with in our environments, how we teach our students, and all that is how we fight back.

I know that sometimes, getting compromised is embarrassing. No one, particularly here, wants to say, "yep, we had an incident last week and although I study and teach this stuff, I still got hit". We have to put the egos in the box and be supporting professionals with each other, by asking questions of each other, even if we are CASP's/CISSPs/etc. That's one thing that I see - that ego closes that communication.

I would say, for required reading, since this conversation opened up with China, CIN'ers should all read Sun Tzu's Art of War and think about cyber and condition ourselves and our students to treat this, not as some 'company function', but as warfare. I guarantee our adversaries are doing that.

Here's a little primer: https://www.securitymagazine.com/ar...pply-sun-tzus-the-art-of-war-to-cybersecurity
    And here's a text in PDF: https://ia903407.us.archive.org/35/items/TheArtOfWarBySunTzu/ArtOfWar.pdf

/r
    Great thoughts, @Rick Butler !

Reactions: Rick Butler
    As cybersecurity professionals we should all understand that attribution - linking malicious activities to subjects or threat actors - is very difficult in that we are often using latent not direct evidence. Recall that latent evidence requires some analysis and interpretation. Direct evidence links directly (without interpretation) to a subject.

As cybersecurity professionals we should all understand that attribution - linking malicious activities to subjects or threat actors - is very difficult
    This is a good point. A lot of that linking is, many times, anecdotal. For example, it is VERY easy for us in the USA to link cyber attacks to actors that do not like us that much - say, from China, Russia, or North Korea. And I'm sure there are folks in other countries that would look at the USA as the source of many cyber attacks. If you look at these pretty real-time visual maps of cyber attacks happening (which, one must take with an entire box of salt, but they look nice on a wall mounted monitor), attacks originate from and target everywhere. We can even have state sponsors set up shop in another country to launch attacks.

Even Antarctica isn't immune.

Reactions: BrianFord