Cloud, My Thoughts on a Pathway

As some of you know, I am in the habit of collecting certifications. Focus recently has been cloud-related, with a firm belief that we need to be concerned with the marketing aspect of certifications, effectively promising jobs based upon certification attainment. I express this concern because as a community college educator I don't want students disappointed when they try to enter the workforce, facing that "catch 22" situation where their lack of work experience handicaps their ability to get a job (i.e. "in order to get a job I need experience; in order to get experience I need a job").

Holding both the CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ and Cloud+ certifications, with the mounting pressures we in the California Community College system have been facing as a consequence of the AWS marketing effort (click HERE to gain a sense of that effort), beginning this past Saturday I started a personal effort, measuring vendor-specific certifications. The information provided below was posted by me on LinkedIn a few minutes ago. My plan is to continue in this effort through the associate level of vendor certifications. Once I complete that effort I'll be composing an article reflecting my experience. What I can tell you is these foundational vendor certifications are product-focused and do not adequately cover the foundational knowledge that's covered in the Cloud Essentials+ certification exam objectives. The cloud starting point, in my opinion, is the Cloud Essentials+ certification.

Steve

During the past 6 days, I briefly studied for and obtained the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner and Microsoft Azure Fundamentals certifications, utilizing only the free online courses provided by these cloud vendors. The purpose of doing so was to determine both if those training assets were sufficient in content to pass the exams. An interesting experiment that convinces me more experience and knowledge beyond these fundamental certifications is necessary in order to be employed in IT/cloud-related jobs. You can read about the experience on my blog, available at: https://lnkd.in/gwRCpJP