CompTIA A+ Class Materials (what to use?)

J Siergiej

• Jul 27, 2022
    We will soon begin teaching A+ here at my college and offering it as credit courses and I am wondering what materials other A+ instructor use in class. Do you use a 3rd party? I would like to use the official Learn & Labs because I believe if your going to pass a certification exam the best place to learn the material is from the people making the exam.

If you do use the CompTIA materials, what do you include? Both Learn & Labs. Do you have students purchase the CertMaster Practice also? Do you find the CompTIA supplied slides sufficient?

If a 3rd party, who do you use?

Thank you in advance for any feedback/advice,

j

I've used probably every book on the market out there in the past - from Jean Andrews, to Mike Meyers, to the CompTIA Certmaster.

And in my opinion they are all equivalent for the material tested on A+, because they cover the wide range of introductory and hardware/software support topics that everyone entering an IT field should know. Plus, each topic area can easily be Googled, expanded, or practiced to the depth you have time for in your particular class.

You are starting teaching on the 8th and are using all these resources for your students?
    yes, reason being teaching becomes hard with one method so trying out different views and explanations makes it more efficient and favors me when it comes to sticking to schedule

Nate S

Mar 9, 2023
    My 2 cents...

Congrats on teaching A+! I teach A+ at our community college, and it's my favorite because it's so hands on and diverse. We use the TestOut Labsim material (which was recently bought by CompTIA) and I love it. It covers everything systematically and in detail. It makes it easier for you to focus on teaching core content and integrating labs rather than covering all content directly in the classroom.

I used the Dion Training material for ITIL 4 Foundations a year ago. Jason Dion does a great job presenting and covering all needed material to pass the certification exams, but really not much more. While I like and appreciate his content, I don't feel it fits in a formal learning environment well. It's best for those in the field who have experience and just need to pass the exam.

I haven't used CertMaster much, but given that CompTIA just purchased TestOut, I would expect the TestOut Labsim and CertMaster content to merge over the next several years.

Cheers,
    Nate

Reactions: Joel M