CompTIA CertMaster Linux

John

• Aug 7, 2019
    Washington, DC
    I'm curious about the CompTIA CertMaster Linux product. In my undergraduate courses, I often get questions like, "What's the best tool to use to prep for the certification exam?", or "Can you recommend a good 'test simulation' product?". One would logically reason that the "best" prep tool is the one offered by the certifying body responsible for the examination. That said, I didn't actually use the product when I obtained the Linux+ certification. Thus, I don't feel comfortable recommending the tool to my students based on my lack of first-hand knowledge.

Have you used the CertMaster product? If so, do you recommend CertMaster as a good prep tool? What did you like about CertMaster?

I can't speak to CertMaster, I think we're going to get access here at NVCC but I've been focused on other things.

I read the Wiley Sybex book, and I'm teaching Linux+ to a Wounded Warrior Cyber Combat Academy team using the CompTIA official curriculum.

Between those two, I felt that the CompTIA official curriculum and Logical Operations labs most closely hewed to what you needed to know for the exam. I'm trying to think through how we're going to deliver a similar hands-on experience for a class here at NVCC. My thinking is that the more lab time you have working in the environment, the more likely you will see a passing score on the test.

The Sybex book, while comprehensive, just completely overshot the mark, I felt. And between the practice questions and the actual exam there was very little alignment (and I mean even from an objectives perspective). When I actually sat for the exam, I felt like I was relying largely on experiences I had gained along the way and applied through lenses that we've discussed in the CompTIA curriculum.

So, needless to say in my list of tough tests, XK0-004 displaces 220-1001 in the top three at number 3, falling right under CySA+ at 2 and CISSP at 1.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    I can't speak to CertMaster, I think we're going to get access here at NVCC but I've been focused on other things.

I read the Wiley Sybex book, and I'm teaching Linux+ to a Wounded Warrior Cyber Combat Academy team using the CompTIA official curriculum.

Between those two, I felt that the CompTIA official curriculum and Logical Operations labs most closely hewed to what you needed to know for the exam. I'm trying to think through how we're going to deliver a similar hands-on experience for a class here at NVCC. My thinking is that the more lab time you have working in the environment, the more likely you will see a passing score on the test.

The Sybex book, while comprehensive, just completely overshot the mark, I felt. And between the practice questions and the actual exam there was very little alignment (and I mean even from an objectives perspective). When I actually sat for the exam, I felt like I was relying largely on experiences I had gained along the way and applied through lenses that we've discussed in the CompTIA curriculum.

So, needless to say in my list of tough tests, XK0-004 displaces 220-1001 in the top three at number 3, falling right under CySA+ at 2 and CISSP at 1.
    John, I think you are spot on in regards to the lab time. That is one thing @jasoneckert emphasized throghout the TTT, the need to sit down and work through the command line. That is really the best approach to getting comfortable with the commands and the exam.

Reactions: Lee McWhorter

Liz Wannemacher

VP Marketing @ CompTIA
    Staff member
    Jul 31, 2019
    Chicago, Illinois
    partners.comptia.org
    I'm curious about the CompTIA CertMaster Linux product. In my undergraduate courses, I often get questions like, "What's the best tool to use to prep for the certification exam?", or "Can you recommend a good 'test simulation' product?". One would logically reason that the "best" prep tool is the one offered by the certifying body responsible for the examination. That said, I didn't actually use the product when I obtained the Linux+ certification. Thus, I don't feel comfortable recommending the tool to my students based on my lack of first-hand knowledge.

Have you used the CertMaster product? If so, do you recommend CertMaster as a good prep tool? What did you like about CertMaster?

Hello John,

Thanks for your post! In case you are interested, I recommend using CertMaster Practice for Linux+ for exam prep. We've recently added actual practice tests to all of our CertMaster Practice products. Here are a few details...

The Practice Tests in CertMaster Practice:
    • Learners can take the practice test after completing the learning modules to gauge their readiness for the exam; if they are not ready, the platform directs them back to the appropriate topics for review
    • Learners can take the practice test multiple times; questions are weighted based on the domain weightings and arranged in pools such that the practice test experience is different for each attempt
    • The practice test includes scenario-based multiple-choice questions that are designed to be similar to the types of questions found on CompTIA exams
    • The practice test includes performance-based questions
    • The practice test is timed such that the learner can not only determine their readiness for the exam content, but also the experience of taking a high stakes exam
    Let me know what questions you have. I am eager to have some instructors try it out.