Creating Engaging Online Classes

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Getting used to learning online can be daunting for both instructors and students. Zeshan Sattar, CompTIA director for learning skills and certifications, shared some words of advice around how to make online classes engaging, and suggestions for students to resist distractions. Zeshan participated in a LinkedIn Live session with CompTIA's Kelly Stone.

You can catch the session here: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6668525798007410689

As some of you know, on June 30th I'm retiring from my non-teaching full-time role with the California Community College Chancellor's Office (CCCCO), and will begin focusing on teaching. With a 180 day restriction imposed on retirees, I won't be able to teach for our colleges until the Spring 2020 semester. When returning I'll likely focus on online instruction, and made a decision in April to take an online teaching course with @One, an organization funded by CCCCO. The "Online Teaching and Design" online course is 12 weeks long and requires an estimated 10 participation hours each week. I'm finding the course extremely beneficial, even though I'm an experienced online instructor. I'll complete it in two weeks and report out my thoughts relative to the useful information I've found.