Delay/Lag on Linux VMs

Rasheed Koudmani

Sep 1, 2022
G'day All,

Wondering if anyone else experiences a lag on labs that use Linux VM's and if there was a fix.
I've noted this myself and several of my learners pointed out the same issue to me on my last course as it caused them a bit of frustration. The Windows VMs are fine but in the Linux VMs the mouse movement lags just enough to make things annoying. Not sure where the machines are hosted. -We are logging in from Australia which might be the issue (But why not for the windows machines?). Note that internet connections, speed, quality are all fine and tested from different locations with different networks. It's consistent and with the Linux VM's. Also I noted this on Sec+ labs and Network+ labs.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rasheed

James P.

Apr 26, 2023
Nevada
I know that if you are using a Type II Hypervisor to host the VMs on there machines that can be an issue if the RAM is not enough. /bandwidth could be the issue as well. I do not know the specs of your computers, however we can run Type II hypervisor with Windows/Linux and etc on a student machine, but it lags if they are trying to run more than 2 at one time if they are working off of 8GB of RAM. Could be several things causing it? Are you using the CompTIA VMs for Labs?

Rasheed Koudmani

Sep 1, 2022
I know that if you are using a Type II Hypervisor to host the VMs on there machines that can be an issue if the RAM is not enough. /bandwidth could be the issue as well. I do not know the specs of your computers, however we can run Type II hypervisor with Windows/Linux and etc on a student machine, but it lags if they are trying to run more than 2 at one time if they are working off of 8GB of RAM. Could be several things causing it? Are you using the CompTIA VMs for Labs?
Hi James, thanks so much for your suggestion. I didn’t clearly state that we see this issue specifically in the CompTIA certmaster lab environment which is all accessed via the web interface. If I launch a lab in certmaster that has for example a Kali vm and a windows vm the Kali Linux interface is laggy.

Reactions: Tess Sluijter

Sivanesan

Jun 4, 2020
Malaysia
G'day All,

Wondering if anyone else experiences a lag on labs that use Linux VM's and if there was a fix.
I've noted this myself and several of my learners pointed out the same issue to me on my last course as it caused them a bit of frustration. The Windows VMs are fine but in the Linux VMs the mouse movement lags just enough to make things annoying. Not sure where the machines are hosted. -We are logging in from Australia which might be the issue (But why not for the windows machines?). Note that internet connections, speed, quality are all fine and tested from different locations with different networks. It's consistent and with the Linux VM's. Also I noted this on Sec+ labs and Network+ labs.

Rasheed
True recently network+ was lagging and had problems. My students complained even at home they had this problem.

G'day All,

Rasheed
If you are using CertMaster you should report the issue via the form in the Labs Help menu. My experience (east coast US) is that the CertMaster Labs support staff is very responsive.

Rasheed Koudmani

Sep 1, 2022
If you are using CertMaster you should report the issue via the form in the Labs Help menu. My experience (east coast US) is that the CertMaster Labs support staff is very responsive.
Thanks Brian that's great advice. I was wondering how to log a case. Thanks again.

Reactions: Sivanesan