Discussion on a Reported Challenge in Finding Cybersecurity Employment

I'll start the discussion by asking that you read the following article that was posted on LinkedIn:

When I completed my reading of the article, agreeing with many of the points it raises, I asked myself why Mr. Bechtel, with an obvious ability to effectively communicate, remains unemployed. Going through the sort of investigative process I would expect most of us to do, my initial thought was to look at his LinkedIn profile to view both education and certifications. I suggest that you do the same (https://www.linkedin.com/in/kbechtel2/ ).

My initial impression (and I apologize to Lee and others from Texas), is the cowboy hat isn't a good thing. Maybe that's a California view, but I suspect people from other states across the nation have a similar view. I view the content in the experience section of the profile as impressive. The weakness in his profile exists in the education section and the licenses/certification sections. What I'm sensing is an attitude that discounts the value of formal education (degrees, certificates), and industry-recognized certifications. We know that isn't an uncommon view, but one that I believe serves as a "red flag" when it comes to an individual's chances of getting a job.

I've reached out to Mr. Bechtel and asked that we connect via LinkedIn. If it happens, I'll let you know how the conversation goes.

Steve

I feel that jobs are a lot like real estate. Location, location, location. Also, knowing someone with the right connections also. I tell my students in Northwest Illinois, that they are going to have to move if they want to go very far in IT. Also lately, I have told some that it might be a good idea to go to college in an area where tech is hot so that they have better chances of getting internships. Sad but true.

I'll be reaching out to Mr. Bechtel later this week. We have exchanged emails. In mine I wrote:
A quick recommendation. It looks like you've been involved in volunteer activities. That is a direction I'm heading towards on a more active path. I'm a member of the ITDRC. You can get a feel of what it does by reading my blog post at:
http://slinthicum.edublogs.org/2019/10/18/heading-to-the-bahamas-for-itdrc-volunteer-effort/

You should consider joining.

On another note, we should probably have a discussion relative to industry-recognized certifications. While there may be a point as to whether they are a good measure of IT and cybersecurity skills, I suspect that we would both agree that corporate HR departments have an established pattern of rejecting applicants without them, just like they often do with regard to an implemented policy that requires having a BA/BS degree.

So these are my initial thoughts. How about I set up a zoom call so we can talk.

Steve

His response was:

Hmmm, I'll look into ITDRC, strongly agree about over reliance on HR and certifications. I can't really claim them, they're looking for a base to measure from, and lack the ability to measure intangibles like experience.

A zoom call would be good.