Does DataSys+ help for Data+?

Should students take both? which comes first?
They're really independent of each other. Data+ is going to focus on the techniques of data analytics where DataSys+ is more about databases and database management. So neither would come first, so to speak. And taking both is never a bad idea. :)

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    I do agree with Rick, however, if I have students that are new to data management, or I was running a program for new data analytics, I think I would start with DataSys+. You have to get the data first before you analyze it. I think that if someone understand database administration, they will understand data analytics easier.

Just my two cents. You have to start somewhere. 😁

Kwabena Fred

Mar 5, 2023
    Spon
    I do agree with Rick, however, if I have students that are new to data management, or I was running a program for new data analytics, I think I would start with DataSys+. You have to get the data first before you analyze it. I think that if someone understand database administration, they will understand data analytics easier.

Just my two cents. You have to start somewhere. 😁
    spot on @Stephen Schneiter @Rick Butler

Jill West

• Sep 13, 2019
    Dalton, GA
    I think it depends on their background as to which to take first. If students have more of an IT background, especially a solid foundation in networking, DataSys+ will probably be more manageable as a starting place. If they have more of a math background, and have had some statistics training, Data+ might be a better starting place. It's true the workflow goes from... establish the database, then analyze the data. But in the interest of scaffolding students' learning progress, it really depends on where they're coming from.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    I think it depends on their background as to which to take first. If students have more of an IT background, especially a solid foundation in networking, DataSys+ will probably be more manageable as a starting place. If they have more of a math background, and have had some statistics training, Data+ might be a better starting place. It's true the workflow goes from... establish the database, then analyze the data. But in the interest of scaffolding students' learning progress, it really depends on where they're coming from.
    Good points @Jill West!