Help for certification

Server+ is best attempted after completing the A+ series. Having some Network+ training may also be helpful, but not overly critical.

The objectives for Server+ are your best guideline. You can find those right here: https://partners.comptia.org/docs/default-source/resources/comptia-server-sk0-005-exam-objectives

You can watch my eight-session series for Server+ by going here: https://cin.comptia.org/resources/server-on-demand-sessions.137/. In the series, I provide a lot of information on what you'll need to pass the exam and what you'll need in the classroom.

/r

Eugene

Aug 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I just took it last night last and passed..lol. I would focus on the CompTIA eBook for sure. That would be my number one thing. Also, think of what is happening in the question. I think we forget the basics sometimes of what the question is stating. Like if it is one person, many people, on a host device, or one the network and what not.

Reactions: Rick Butler

Dejan Dundovic

• Nov 25, 2022
    I just took it last night last and passed..lol. I would focus on the CompTIA eBook for sure. That would be my number one thing. Also, think of what is happening in the question. I think we forget the basics sometimes of what the question is stating. Like if it is one person, many people, on a host device, or one the network and what not.
    Thank you very much. Just as I thought so. Troubleshhoting number one.

Dejan Dundovic

• Nov 25, 2022
    Server+ is best attempted after completing the A+ series. Having some Network+ training may also be helpful, but not overly critical.

The objectives for Server+ are your best guideline. You can find those right here: https://partners.comptia.org/docs/default-source/resources/comptia-server-sk0-005-exam-objectives

You can watch my eight-session series for Server+ by going here: https://cin.comptia.org/resources/server-on-demand-sessions.137/. In the series, I provide a lot of information on what you'll need to pass the exam and what you'll need in the classroom.

/r
    Thank you for answer. Certainly will watch sessions.

Something that I've started doing with respect to reading the question is reading it backwards, then forwards. Sometimes you'll get a paragraph of information in a question, only to see a very simple question being asked. But if you use this technique, make sure you read the whole question, particularly if you get one that asks what phase of a process you're in, or sorting through definitions about things.

Don't forget to read the glossary and index - a very overlooked technique that is good for eliminating distractor answers.

Eugene

Aug 16, 2019
    Jacksonville, FL
    Something that I've started doing with respect to reading the question is reading it backwards, then forwards. Sometimes you'll get a paragraph of information in a question, only to see a very simple question being asked. But if you use this technique, make sure you read the whole question, particularly if you get one that asks what phase of a process you're in, or sorting through definitions about things.

Don't forget to read the glossary and index - a very overlooked technique that is good for eliminating distractor answers.
    Hmmm...I didn't think of that. In my test I kinda went back and further but maybe reading it all at once backwards will make the difference. I will try this.

Eugene

Aug 16, 2019
    Jacksonville, FL
    Certainly will try all. We became partners with Comptia and my job is to teach others. Have 11 years of experience working on servers, maybe this is advantage or big problem?
    Big advantage for sure. I have some microsoft certs as well but I need more server practice as well. Maybe I need to sign up for you class...lol

Certainly will try all. We became partners with Comptia and my job is to teach others. Have 11 years of experience working on servers, maybe this is advantage or big problem?
    I think your work on server architectures will serve you well, but it does also have the potential to give a sort of tunnel vision regarding them. Depending on how diverse your work on servers has been, it may be that there'll be holes in your knowledge, since the certification is pretty broad. I would recommend taking your time and don't take the cert for granted, just because you have experience.

Not to downplay your experience - that's great that you have that. But what I had to do with Project+ was check my experience at the door when going for the certification, and then incorporate my experiences back in after the cert process. CompTIA does like to put things into certs like, "yeah, but did you know THIS little tidbit..."

Just a suggestion from my own experience and wondering why I scored lower than I expected on an exam or two in my day.

Dejan Dundovic

• Nov 25, 2022
    Big advantage for sure. I have some microsoft certs as well but I need more server practice as well. Maybe I need to sign up for you class...lol
    lol...big like for my students who have certs and pre-knowledge in IT sector, so def would enjoy teaching you :D

Reactions: Eugene

Dejan Dundovic

• Nov 25, 2022
    I think your work on server architectures will serve you well, but it does also have the potential to give a sort of tunnel vision regarding them. Depending on how diverse your work on servers has been, it may be that there'll be holes in your knowledge, since the certification is pretty broad. I would recommend taking your time and don't take the cert for granted, just because you have experience.

Not to downplay your experience - that's great that you have that. But what I had to do with Project+ was check my experience at the door when going for the certification, and then incorporate my experiences back in after the cert process. CompTIA does like to put things into certs like, "yeah, but did you know THIS little tidbit..."

Just a suggestion from my own experience and wondering why I scored lower than I expected on an exam or two in my day.
    Yeah, just as I thought so. Experience have some advantage but like you said so, "did you know this"... :D , so I decided to put myself in a student roll and put my knowledge and experience in other plan. It is working for me so far

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com

/r
    I echo Rick's advice.
    I highly recommend that you got good foundation from A+ before proceeding with Server+

As for focus areas, check the exam objectives, and learn by working on actual servers, or virtual machines.
    There's heaps of troubleshooting and scenario-type of questions.

Yeah, just as I thought so. Experience have some advantage but like you said so, "did you know this"... :D , so I decided to put myself in a student roll and put my knowledge and experience in other plan. It is working for me so far
    That's wise. I think we all have to do that as experienced educators and practitioners. It becomes so easy for us to just take things for granted and then, one day, you get hit with a question like, "So, do you know what RAID 6 is?"

Real story on the Server+. Luckily, I was able to get it right, but Server+ was the first time I saw RAID 6 on a CompTIA exam.

Or how about Z-Wave...do you anyone who's using Z-Wave? I don't, but you'll see it on A+.

Project+ is a great example. I know a young lass who has tried P+ 004 three times and been unsuccessful. I recommended she go for 005, which means she gets to learn Agile processes. I think she'd do better on that one, than with 004.

/r

Reactions: Eugene
    It could have been great after writing IT Fundamentals taking A+, N+ then going for Server+ or Linux + or taking the Cyber security pathway by going for Security Plus then Pen Test or Cysa and finally CASP. You may also do Data plus, Cloud plus and Project plus.