HS Teacher

Hi Everyone

I am a high school teacher in NJ and I am looking for others to collaborate with on generating more interest in my IT class. We use Cisco networking academy and a few of the resources from Comptia but I am looking for additional ways to keep my students motivated as many do not take the A+ exam. Any other HS teachers have any suggestions?

Reactions: mhunter

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Hi Everyone

I am a high school teacher in NJ and I am looking for others to collaborate with on generating more interest in my IT class. We use Cisco networking academy and a few of the resources from Comptia but I am looking for additional ways to keep my students motivated as many do not take the A+ exam. Any other HS teachers have any suggestions?
    You might reach out to Alan Stubblefield, as he is teaching Middle and High school - he might have a few insights on which to capitalize...

jgoodrich

• Jun 23, 2020
    Lansing, Michigan
    Hi Everyone

Mr. Dee,

You can reach out to me as I also teach CTE 11th/12th grade and have a problem with enrolment. I have 10 open seats in my morning class and 12 open seats in my afternoon class.

I am doing everything I can to make sure that we are reaching as many students as we can, but would love to try more.

Josh

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Hi Everyone

Upon completion of Cisco NetAcad IT Essentials, the students can take an exam whereby, a certificate of completion is given to whosoever passes the final exam. This can be given at the end of the term/year in a sort-of "graduation" ceremony. In this way, the students are rewarded for their efforts, and other students will become aware as well. If budget permits, maybe you can also give free A+ exam voucher to the highest scorer.

Also, leverage on the use of social media. Take videos and photos of 'cool' stuff that your students do. If your students opt to be in the photo, then that would be great. Tag them in the posts.

Hopefully, this helps.

Reactions: MrDee

mhunter

Mar 29, 2022
    Hi Everyone

Thank you for your post. I too am looking for ideas to generate more interest in my students.

I am a high school instructor at a Technical Center in PA, my three year program prepares students for CompTIA certification. ITF+ is taking first year and 95% of my students pass. Their junior and senior year I teach CompTIA A+ curriculum Core 1 and Core 2. I too am having trouble getting my students to take the A+ exams. Students who taking iA+ are passing Core1, however during the 3 year journey their interest change or they are headed to 4 year college and it will be expired before they leave college. Several students are heading to work directly out of high school and remain interested but I too am looking for ideas for the remaining students.

Chris Gehringer

• Jan 26, 2020
    Thank you for your post. I too am looking for ideas to generate more interest in my students.

I am a high school instructor at a Technical Center in PA, my three year program prepares students for CompTIA certification. ITF+ is taking first year and 95% of my students pass. Their junior and senior year I teach CompTIA A+ curriculum Core 1 and Core 2. I too am having trouble getting my students to take the A+ exams. Students who taking iA+ are passing Core1, however during the 3 year journey their interest change or they are headed to 4 year college and it will be expired before they leave college. Several students are heading to work directly out of high school and remain interested but I too am looking for ideas for the remaining students.
    Finally, I found someone who teaches how I do! I have a four-year program and the first is one of those fun basics of all things IT (Google workplace projects, 3D printing, keyboard practice, the 14 basic parts of a PC, looking inside a pc, etc.). I then have my second years to the ITF+, and I eventually will have my third and fourth class as a double. That will allow me to teach core one and core two the same year to seniors.

My biggest issue is that a majority of the kids who are in my classes either can't handle it or don't want to be there. Or are so socially awkward they show no interest in the class. They don't take me up on offers to send equipment home, they don't work through their lunches, and they don't stay after when I offer.