IATP Now CompTIA IT Pro

I'll start with the following link:

A while back I joined the San Diego Chapter of the IATP, but not much has been going on, a likely consequence of the COVID-19 situation. I think the existence of the organization makes sense, but I'm trying to figure out is how it could effectively be marketed in a fashion that encourages CIN members to get involved and get their students involved. Thoughts?

Steve

This is the same problem with all kinds of other user groups. I know my SpiceWorks group has been on hiatus whilst we wait for the all-clear so we can all climb out from beneath our blankets and come out of the basements.

Even before the Coronapocalypse, we had this challenge, to get folks involved in in-person meetup groups. I know with SpiceWorks, the big thing is finding a draw, something that brings folks into the group more than "hey, come to our group -we'll feed you and talk tech for 90 minutes".

Wider angle, these kinds of groups, in my opinion, fall apart when people are doing it for the group's sake, forgetting that it's about people connecting with people, not just tossing people in a room and telling them "okay, go form a group". Tried that mess in college. Failed.

Creating groups to provide a platform for folks to get together is one thing, but that, in my opinion has never been enough of a draw. Critically, CIN exists, but without doing things like the TTT and having regular things that create the draw, CIN is just another discussion board with little to offer. Once we draw in with webinars and resources that people will WANT to use, they will come for that...and stay for pizza.

Does that rambling make sense?

/r