In-Class Activites

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    So, I just downloaded a copy of PC Building Simulator. Not sure how that's going to pan out, but, I'll report on that here. Might work for some, not so much for others. /r
    I support this. Epic Games released a free version of PC Building Simulator previously.
    It is a good tool for simulation, tho I still prefer hands-on.

I support this. Epic Games released a free version of PC Building Simulator previously.
    I saw that. I didn't download it though, as it appeared to be a pretty scaled down version of the Steam version of PCBS. But it is free and doesn't require Steam to actually run. So there's that - which may be more attractive to those who may not have Steam already and not want to pay the $20 to get PCBS.

It is a good tool for simulation, tho I still prefer hands-on.
    I'm pretty sure EVERYONE would prefer to get their hands on live and real hardware, but sometimes, the logistics just don't pan out.

1) Space limitations to store "all that computer junk" (as it was often told to me when I ran A+ classrooms).
    2) Space limitations to work on things. Every student needs a bench at which to work
    3) The cost and time to build up a bench stock that you can use to simulate or actually construct working machines.
    4) The coronapocalypse. 'Nuff said.
    5) Hybrid delivery models - Yes you get lab time, but it's usually not the same (having done both full on-ground and hybrid/online scenarios)

/r

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    Kahoot has been mentioned, which I use for bigger quizes, like practice exams that are tackled as group.

At the end of each of my classes, I use a shorter "knowledge check" which I build in MS Forms. 5-10 quick questions, covering the subjects covered that particular day, so I can get a feel for how my students are doing.

Jarrel

• Feb 17, 2020
    Australia
    www.jarrelrivera.com
    Doing activities in a class also depend on how much time you got and what resources you can use.

If computer games are allowed, you can also ask your students to build a LAN for the class (from scratch - build their PC, connect to the network, etc) with your PC as the main server, then play Age of Empires afterwards. I do this to add fun to my class.

You can also play sort-of a quiz-bee where the students write questions on one side of the paper, and the answer at the back. The students form a group where they try to ask the other group questions. If group B didn't get to answer correctly, then group A gets the point etc. I like this, co'z I also get to build on my question bank. haha! With the lockdowns and all, we've turned this into an online thing, via MS Forms.

A+ Core1 is infrastructure. So if you got competitive students, you can probably time them and see who can build a working PC the fastest then post it on the corridor or bulletin - for bragging rights.

To kill time, we play bongo cat. LOL! It is something that I learned from a TTT session hahaha
    Check it out. it's fun! see link: https://bongo.cat/

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    You can also play sort-of a quiz-bee where the students write questions on one side of the paper, and the answer at the back. The students form a group where they try to ask the other group questions.

I keep forgetting to do this! You're right: it helps students better understand the objectives and it helps them re-frame the materials they're studying.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/pc-building-simulator-2
    There is new version, PC Building Simulator 2, that is supposed to come out this year. I read somewhere that it would not be available on Steam, only Epic Games. I am hoping to use the new version as something fun in A+ Core 1.

PC Show and Tell
    I also have students do a show-n-tell of their personal computers. They bring them in and fire them up while they do a presentation of the components they have in the system, why they chose those components, where they purchased them ,and how much it would currently cost to build it, and what components they would upgrade.

If they don't have something they can bring in or built themselves, they have to have to present on their "dream computer". I have had some students that have a home lab and they have presented on their whole lab and what they do with it. We do this early in the first semester. It has really got students talking and building connections that have paid dividends later in the course and through the entire program.

Reactions: Mike Huisman