Installing/running local lab environments for A+, N+, Sec+ and CysA+ on same hypervisor

Sean Spangler

Jan 22, 2020
I'd like to be able to create a 'local' lab environment containing all the required VMs for A+, Network+, Security and CySA+. Given that I have the setup guides for each course, is there a particular order for the the installation process?
I have this all setup and running free for my students remotely I am using VMware the 30 trial it doesn't need to be activated and VMware esxi 7 their free hypervisor based on Linux. You won't get back up features cause it's the free version but there is no expectations. I have ran Linux classes windows 410 412 and 412 along with md100 and other labs with nested virtualization. I make one machine with windows enterpris eval set it up with all the information they need for the class and copy bit for the students they have. It took me some time to figure this out VM Ware didn't know they had the capacity to do what I am doing with it but I can watch my students do their work o. There machines on the server at my house and flip throw them and help them. I can give you more details and problems I ran in if you wish

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
the Netherlands
www.kilala.nl
I really, really want to offer my students a lab similar to my home lab running on an Dell R410. Yes, it's pretty ancient by modern standards, but a box like that still runs a whole wad of VMs easily. I did a bid on a few Dell R720s this week, through a foreclosure auction, but didn't end up getting them because it went a bit over-budget. They would've been great to run for my students though :)

Basically:
* Grab an older enterprise level box, like a Dell R410 or a HP DL380 G8.
* Put ProxMox or VMWare ESXi on it for virtualization

Win 2012 or Win 2016 can be legally used in a free / demo install. And of course you can use plenty of Linuxen on VMs.

Here's an example of my homelab setup from over a year ago.

Last edited: