June 30th Retirement - What's Next

Effective June 30th, I'll begin my "retirement" from the California Community College system. With that retirement comes a legally imposed 180-day restriction from teaching for any of our 115 community colleges in the system. With many of the colleges moving their programs over to an online format, absent this restriction I would be attempting to find a class or two to teach. However, given the fact that our community colleges are going to be facing an extreme reduction of funding, I suspect there will be some faculty layoffs and I'd hate to take away an opportunity from an instructor who really needs the income.

On the way out the door, I'm enjoying some notoriety. Yesterday I received notification that I was recently designated as a Cyber Hero. Not willing to sit in a rocking chair on the front porch, I'll likely focus on volunteer opportunities that focus on the need to improve efforts that focus on IT and cybersecurity education.

Tom McIntyre

May 8, 2020
If you have any interest in watches and clocks you might enjoy lending a hand with a raucous community of collectors, scholars and merchants at https://mb.nawcc.org. We are in the process of deploying upgrades to our systems that will result in a configuration very similar to that in use here. The consulting firm, Audentio, that did quite a bit of the work here is helping us with the XenForo deployment and I registered here looking for opportunities to share ideas.

Venkatesan Pillai

Jun 2, 2020
Effective June 30th, I'll begin my "retirement" from the California Community College system. With that retirement comes a legally imposed 180-day restriction from teaching for any of our 115 community colleges in the system. With many of the colleges moving their programs over to an online format, absent this restriction I would be attempting to find a class or two to teach. However, given the fact that our community colleges are going to be facing an extreme reduction of funding, I suspect there will be some faculty layoffs and I'd hate to take away an opportunity from an instructor who really needs the income.

On the way out the door, I'm enjoying some notoriety. Yesterday I received notification that I was recently designated as a Cyber Hero. Not willing to sit in a rocking chair on the front porch, I'll likely focus on volunteer opportunities that focus on the need to improve efforts that focus on IT and cybersecurity education.
Hello Steve - Thank you for your service to community.