JUST COMPLETED CYSA

DOES COMPTIA take my Valid SY0-601 and convert it to 701 if so what proof I have some one that whats me to train but I must have 701 and client wants to see.
If your client explicitly says, "we want evidence that you passed SY0-701", that would be a specific requirement of the client, something that is not within CompTIA's control or purview.

From a CompTIA perspective, it doesn't matter what version you took if you took to acquire the Security+ within the CE program. If you are current with Security+, then you are current. If you took the 501 and have been maintaining it by upgrade exams or CE credits, and that credential is still current, CompTIA would implicitly say that you have the knowledge that would be found on the 701 - even if you never actually took the exam. However, I would not expect an explicit statement from them to that effect. I'm sure CompTIA would direct you to their published guidelines.

There is no 'conversion' as you suggest here. If you are Security+ce Certified, then you're certified. If your client wants something more, then that's their prerogative and would probably either suggests the client doesn't understand how the certification program actually works, or they are purposely wanting you to have passed the 701, so they can make the statement that their instructor has seen that particular exam. It would also be within the purview of the instructor, in this case, you, to teach the Security+ along the current published objectives, whether or not you have actually seen the 701 exam.

/r

Hank Cox

Sep 12, 2023
Atlanta, Georgia, US
hsec.tech
Congratulations on earning the CySA+ certification!
I also have clients who require trainers to pass the current CompTIA exam before teaching the current course. They understand how the course, exam, and certification work. They require their instructors to be certified for the current version of the class involved.
The CompTIA Security+ce certification does not have a version, just an expiration date. The exam and official course materials do have a version, for example: "The Official CompTIA Security+ Student Guide (Exam SY0-701)".
For many students and training centers, "current version of Security+" does mean "SY0-701". Passing the 701 exam would meet the requirement. Even a trainer who holds current Security+,CySA+,PenTest+ and CASP+ certifications would still have to get a voucher or pay to take the 701 exam. Then the proof is shown on their transcript at CompTIA/CertMetrics.

Last edited:

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
Germany
www.linkedin.com
DOES COMPTIA take my Valid SY0-601 and convert it to 701 if so what proof I have some one that whats me to train but I must have 701 and client wants to see.
CompTIA does not converted your Certification from an old version to a newer one: pass the Exam, earn enough CE points to keep it current.
Exam 601 is 601, and 701 is 701. separate things.

The only case where the Cert maybe converted is CASP to SecurityX+, but that is due name changes then.

Stuart

May 28, 2022
The only way to get the 701 is to take and pass the exam; however, if you have the 601 and keep up to date with CE credits, then CompTIA will extend the certification end date. In my role, I need to take the new exam as it shows my students I have passed the same exam they are studying for. However, if I were not teaching, I would just keep my certifications updated using CE credits.

Reactions: Fanuel