Network+ classwork

Solution
What source/methods do you use to go by domain. I have used the chapter method myself, however always find I'm tweaking it each semester to its effectiveness and would be interested in doing it by domains.

Thanks in advance.

When I adapted any textbook for domain layout, I would make use of a table (if there), that would correlate chapters to domain objectives. Generally, you can figure out what chapter would be referenced. Compile the lists up and go from there.

Domain delivery is not the most elegant solution, but neither is chapter by chapter. But that's how I went about doing it. /r
Hello, welcome to CIN!

Our college uses the CompTIA materials for Network+, after transitioning from the Cengage books that we used for many years. Personally, I think we're having greater success with the way that CompTIA's books are written, because of the supplemental activities that are woven in. We have always had issues where the lab manuals were either not well play-tested, or they didn't align to the text book that well (some labs that seemed 'forced', just to have something to put in there for a chapter.

There are two challenges that we have always had with these courses. First, how do we present the material - do we go domain-by-domain, where we effectively skip around all over the book, or chapter-by-chapter where we go all over the domain map? Domain allows us to better create assessments that follow large swathes of the testable material, Chapter is easier to present, but harder to assess along the same thread as the Net+ cert exam. So, there never was a really elegant or clean solution here. Most go for the chapter model; I looked at doing it by domains and it would have been extremely chaotic.

I personally think using CompTIA's materials as your main source would be better than offering them as supplementary.

HTH,

/r

Reactions: Krose

Krose

Aug 14, 2019
Hello, welcome to CIN!

Our college uses the CompTIA materials for Network+, after transitioning from the Cengage books that we used for many years. Personally, I think we're having greater success with the way that CompTIA's books are written, because of the supplemental activities that are woven in. We have always had issues where the lab manuals were either not well play-tested, or they didn't align to the text book that well (some labs that seemed 'forced', just to have something to put in there for a chapter.

There are two challenges that we have always had with these courses. First, how do we present the material - do we go domain-by-domain, where we effectively skip around all over the book, or chapter-by-chapter where we go all over the domain map? Domain allows us to better create assessments that follow large swathes of the testable material, Chapter is easier to present, but harder to assess along the same thread as the Net+ cert exam. So, there never was a really elegant or clean solution here. Most go for the chapter model; I looked at doing it by domains and it would have been extremely chaotic.

I personally think using CompTIA's materials as your main source would be better than offering them as supplementary.

HTH,

/r
What source/methods do you use to go by domain. I have used the chapter method myself, however always find I'm tweaking it each semester to its effectiveness and would be interested in doing it by domains.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

When I adapted any textbook for domain layout, I would make use of a table (if there), that would correlate chapters to domain objectives. Generally, you can figure out what chapter would be referenced. Compile the lists up and go from there.

Domain delivery is not the most elegant solution, but neither is chapter by chapter. But that's how I went about doing it. /r

Solution