Not CompTIA but a Server Cert Question

For those who teach on-premise server courses that aligned to the following:
70-740: Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016
70-741: Networking with Windows Server 2016
70-742: Identity with Windows Server 2016

What do you plan to do since there is no longer a cert for Microsoft Server?
Microsoft Azure AZ-104?
CompTIA Server+ (SK0-004)?
Something else?

For those who teach on-premise server courses that aligned to the following:
70-740: Installation, Storage, and Compute with Windows Server 2016
70-741: Networking with Windows Server 2016
70-742: Identity with Windows Server 2016

What do you plan to do since there is no longer a cert for Microsoft Server?
Microsoft Azure AZ-104?
CompTIA Server+ (SK0-004)?
Something else?
I was wondering the same thing. Also for the SQL Server instructors.

Reactions: Dana Fellows

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    For the longest time, we were using the MTA for Windows Server, which is below the previous MCP certs. Our school is transitioning to Server+, although I am deeply concerned that students will not get enough on-prem AD management exposure, since that's not part of Server+. Microsoft is clearly pushing away from on-prem, so one might wonder how that particular gap gets bridged with those that don't want to go to the cloud, other that a complete out-of-band approach. /r

Liz Wannemacher

VP Marketing @ CompTIA
    Staff member
    Jul 31, 2019
    Chicago, Illinois
    partners.comptia.org
    For the longest time, we were using the MTA for Windows Server, which is below the previous MCP certs. Our school is transitioning to Server+, although I am deeply concerned that students will not get enough on-prem AD management exposure, since that's not part of Server+. Microsoft is clearly pushing away from on-prem, so one might wonder how that particular gap gets bridged with those that don't want to go to the cloud, other that a complete out-of-band approach. /r
    The refreshed Server+ SK0-005 exam objectives have an increased focus toward on-prem management. Multiple objectives cover on-prem OS installation, provisioning, and management. Although AD is not explicitly called out in the objectives (as we maintain a vendor neutral stance towards the industry), it would be within the scope of the certification.

It is worth noting that Microsoft Datacenter Academies now feature Server+ in their curriculum - https://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-adds-comptia-certs-to-datacenter-training-programs/

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Hi Liz:

In my analysis of the 004 and 005, I didn't see any more or less in terms of the on-prem focus of Server +, only a realigning of the objectives to take down a lot of the details in the objectives (not taking away from the depth), and brought that out during the Sneak Peek.

I didn't see anything on the exam that spoke to AD management - only AD being mentioned as a server role for user authentication. No place in the study materials are there discussions regarding forests, domains, OU's or building accounts, not for MSFT and not for Linux. Server+ specifically talks about hardware architectures and constructing systems that could support various platforms.

Sadly, the topics covered in the MCP, I believe are still very relevant to technicians that are entering the field. It's good that MSFT is adding CompTIA certs into their training programs (although I don't think they are back in as part of any certifications they offer). But my criticism isn't directed to CompTIA, but rather to Microsoft, because on-prem MSFT systems aren't going anywhere - despite Microsoft's efforts to convince the industry otherwise.

/r

Hi Liz:

In my analysis of the 004 and 005, I didn't see any more or less in terms of the on-prem focus of Server +, only a realigning of the objectives to take down a lot of the details in the objectives (not taking away from the depth), and brought that out during the Sneak Peek.

I didn't see anything on the exam that spoke to AD management - only AD being mentioned as a server role for user authentication. No place in the study materials are there discussions regarding forests, domains, OU's or building accounts, not for MSFT and not for Linux. Server+ specifically talks about hardware architectures and constructing systems that could support various platforms.

Sadly, the topics covered in the MCP, I believe are still very relevant to technicians that are entering the field. It's good that MSFT is adding CompTIA certs into their training programs (although I don't think they are back in as part of any certifications they offer). But my criticism isn't directed to CompTIA, but rather to Microsoft, because on-prem MSFT systems aren't going anywhere - despite Microsoft's efforts to convince the industry otherwise.

/r
    That are my thoughts. Sauk Valley Community College has a few courses aligned and mapped to the Microsoft Certs. Without a cert, curriculum will disappear probably also. Maybe CompTIA should fill that void with a new cert that focuses on Server Operating Systems.

I would love to see CompTIA come up with something to bridge the gap, but as Liz mentioned, CompTIA is vendor neutral. So creating a cert that would go against that. They can get away with that with Linux+, since there are a number of distros out there to support Linux.

In reality, Microsoft would own this...but they have no desire to actually fill that gap, because they want people to abandon their on-prem data centers in favor of cloud hosting.

/r

If you view the CompTIA A+ objectives there is a lot of Microsoft specific things. Below are just a few from the 1002 objectives. Based on this, I'm not sure why CompTIA would not include some Windows Server features in the objectives for Server+.
    • Compare and contrast features of Microsoft Windows versions.
    • Given a scenario, use appropriate Microsoft command line tools.
    • Given a scenario, use Microsoft operating system features and tools.
    • Given a scenario, use Microsoft Windows Control Panel utilities.
    • Given a scenario, configure Microsoft Windows networking on a client/desktop.
    • Compare and contrast the differences of basic Microsoft Windows OS security settings.
    • Given a scenario, troubleshoot Microsoft Windows OS problems.

Good point here. I would say the neutrality principle then comes from offsetting by having objectives for MacOS and iThings, as well as Android. I would hope we would see more server centric Microsoft management incorporated. Almost like there might be enough to create a two test Server+ battery...

/r