ONLY two certifications

Ronald

• Jul 9, 2024
    Both certifications are solid choices. Security+ is indeed in high demand, especially for roles focused on cybersecurity, but it typically requires some experience in the field to fully leverage its benefits. If the individual is a career shifter, they might need to gain practical experience or complementary skills to maximize the value of this certification.

Cloud+, on the other hand, is more focused on managing cloud infrastructure, which is a rapidly growing area. This cert could be very beneficial for someone looking to work with cloud technologies, as it’s less about security and more about the architecture, deployment, and management of cloud environments.

If you're looking at which CompTIA certs would be the most valuable for someone transitioning from the military into IT, it really depends on what area you’re aiming to move into.

If you're leaning towards cybersecurity, then Security+ and CySA+ would be a solid combo. Security+ gives you the foundational knowledge, and CySA+ takes you deeper into threat detection and analysis.

But if you're more interested in cloud technologies or infrastructure, then pairing Security+ with Cloud+ will help you move into that direction. Cloud+ is great for understanding and managing cloud environments, which is huge in IT right now. If you lean towards this area you will also need to add some Microsoft and/or AWS training or certs

So, it all comes down to where you want to go in your new career. If you can narrow down your focus, I'm sure the community can help you pick the certs that focus on your future career interests.

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    I have to agree with the above comments. It comes down to, what do you want to do, and what IT experience do you have. If none, then starting with Sec+ and Cloud+ is a heavy lift. The core IT skills and networking still count for a lot when trying to get into IT.

I have to agree with the above comments. It comes down to, what do you want to do, and what IT experience do you have. If none, then starting with Sec+ and Cloud+ is a heavy lift. The core IT skills and networking still count for a lot when trying to get into IT.
    You are absolutely right, I didn't account for the "actual experience" factor....

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I have a scenario where I am being asked which two certs would be most valuable and which would be most beneficial for career changers transitioning from the military.

In your humble opinion, which would be the two that would make them the most valuable and job ready?

It was already suggested Sec+, and Cloud+

Can you let me know, your thoughts?
    Security+ is the definitive first choice, because every contractor with an IAT/IAM requirement is going to want it on your resume, particularly if you are going to leave the military with a security clearance.

If you're looking to go Cyber, then CySA+ or CEH may be good things to go for. Administration - Cloud+ or a vendor cert like AWS or Azure, or Linux+ are good possibilities. CCNA isn't a bad choice either, as, while we advocate for Network+, CCNA still commands respect on a resume.

I know the temptation is to try to be immediately employable when you ETS, but perhaps consider where you want to be in three years from today.

/r

Reactions: Brandon G

abiodun1991

• Mar 17, 2022
    Nigeria
    minazconsult.org
    Security+ is the definitive first choice, because every contractor with an IAT/IAM requirement is going to want it on your resume, particularly if you are going to leave the military with a security clearance.

If you're looking to go Cyber, then CySA+ or CEH may be good things to go for. Administration - Cloud+ or a vendor cert like AWS or Azure, or Linux+ are good possibilities. CCNA isn't a bad choice either, as, while we advocate for Network+, CCNA still commands respect on a resume.

I know the temptation is to try to be immediately employable when you ETS, but perhaps consider where you want to be in three years from today.

/r
    Thank for the good advices

Stuart

May 28, 2022
    I would agree that Security+ (Sec+) is a crucial certification. It's widely recognized and highly sought after. In addition to Security+, I would suggest pursuing the CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst (CySA+) certification.

While Cloud+ is also a strong choice, particularly given the growing importance of cloud technologies, pairing Sec+ with CySA+ provides a more comprehensive foundation in cybersecurity. This combination can better position career changers for a range of roles, from security analysts to more advanced positions as they gain experience.

Ultimately, the combination of Sec+ and CySA+ can make transitioning candidates both valuable and job-ready, offering a robust skill set that aligns with current industry demands.

Reactions: Rick Butler

abiodun1991

• Mar 17, 2022
    Nigeria
    minazconsult.org
    I would agree that Security+ (Sec+) is a crucial certification. It's widely recognized and highly sought after. In addition to Security+, I would suggest pursuing the CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst (CySA+) certification.

While Cloud+ is also a strong choice, particularly given the growing importance of cloud technologies, pairing Sec+ with CySA+ provides a more comprehensive foundation in cybersecurity. This combination can better position career changers for a range of roles, from security analysts to more advanced positions as they gain experience.

Ultimately, the combination of Sec+ and CySA+ can make transitioning candidates both valuable and job-ready, offering a robust skill set that aligns with current industry demands.
    Ok what about pentpester