Passed 220-1101 last night and now chomping (champing?) at the bit for 1102!

Rae Whitlock

• Jan 20, 2022
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Took Core 1 last night at home with an 8:30p exam time. I taught the 1000 series for a non-profit from January until June of this year as a full-time instructor and now I'm with that same non-profit as a part-time IT tutor. I currently hold the Net+ CE and Sec+ CE certs, plus A+ GFL from 1998. (Exam codes 220-002 and 220-003!)

Pretty good exam experience, all things told. Really excited (anxious?) for my next voucher to arrive so I can get that exam out of the way and be A+ certified x2!

Rae Whitlock

• Jan 20, 2022
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Congrats! Any parting thoughts about the exam? (coverage, depth, types of questions, etc)
    It honestly felt much easier than expected (mostly in comparison to the Official Study Guide and the accompanying assessments). I got three PBQs: one on wifi configuration, one on printer troubleshooting, and one on properly terminating/connecting cables. The multiple choice questions felt like a lot of customer service/troubleshooting theory, some wifi security setup, some printing, some tools. I remember that there was one or two that seemed like they belonged on 1102.

Overall a decent experience, especially for an onVue exam.

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    It honestly felt much easier than expected (mostly in comparison to the Official Study Guide and the accompanying assessments). I got three PBQs: one on wifi configuration, one on printer troubleshooting, and one on properly terminating/connecting cables. The multiple choice questions felt like a lot of customer service/troubleshooting theory, some wifi security setup, some printing, some tools. I remember that there was one or two that seemed like they belonged on 1102.

Overall a decent experience, especially for an onVue exam.
    I take mine next week. I avoid onVue at all costs though. Going to a testing center.

Reactions: Lee McWhorter

Michael Schmitz

Aug 9, 2021
    Germany
    www.linkedin.com
    Took Core 1 last night at home with an 8:30p exam time. I taught the 1000 series for a non-profit from January until June of this year as a full-time instructor and now I'm with that same non-profit as a part-time IT tutor. I currently hold the Net+ CE and Sec+ CE certs, plus A+ GFL from 1998. (Exam codes 220-002 and 220-003!)

Pretty good exam experience, all things told. Really excited (anxious?) for my next voucher to arrive so I can get that exam out of the way and be A+ certified x2!
    Congrats. I passed it last week, without much Preparation, since i had Time and wanted to try it..
    Some Questions are confusing or the Answer like nearly nonsense. Esp. for Non-Engl. Native Speaker, you can get lost.
    Waiting for Core2 Voucher.
    Michael

Reactions: Rae Whitlock

Rae Whitlock

• Jan 20, 2022
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    I take mine next week. I avoid onVue at all costs though. Going to a testing center.
    I generally try to avoid onVue as well, but the testing centers nearest me didn't have appointments available for another couple of weeks, and I just wanted to get it out of the way. I was aware of the usual onVue pitfalls and did my best to avoid them. (For instance, using an external webcam on a tripod placed behind my laptop, instead of the integrated webcam. Makes it so I can adjust the laptop's position freely without the proctor talking about me moving around the video frame too much.)

Good luck, Abby!

Reactions: Lee McWhorter

Rae Whitlock

• Jan 20, 2022
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    When I was writing A+, I found it challenging than N+, how was your experience?
    My own experience is probably a little different than some. Like I said, from January to June of this year, I was in the classroom teaching the previous version of A+ every day (which included coaching my students on how to take the exam), so I found this material pretty second nature. Last time I took a Network+ exam was about four years ago and it was my first certification exam in over a decade, so I naturally found that pretty difficult.

Core I seems to be the tougher one for most.
    Yeah, that's what I gathered from most of my students as well--probably at least in part because Core 1 is their first experience with these exams and these concepts. By the time they reach Core 2, they know a little bit more what to expect.

Last edited: