Melinda Thompson

Oct 25, 2022
I recently finished the Project + Train the Trainer Series with Rick and Steve and it was a great session. I am now getting ready to schedule my exam and study. I have never formally taught any course and this will be my first. I had a few questions.

• How may sessions and how many hours is the prep course for the exam? The same as the TT series? 8 - 2hour sessions?
  • What should an instructor charge for teaching per hour for an organization and what does an individual pay typically for the prep course?
  • Do I just use the documents in the toolkit to teach the course or do I need to create my own slides?

• Also, if all this information is available anywhere, please let me know.

Hey Melinda:

So, the TTT series, for me, was 16 contact hours, but again, I started it with the understanding that the TTT would be for instructors that have already have some knowledge of PM and needed to walk through the objectives to learn the material.

I would say, to teach PM to the completely uninitiated, it would take...um...about 60 contact hours, minimum, to go through the basic principles. Add in some laboratory work, homework, and such, I can easily see an 80-100 hour contact course. If you're looking to teach this through a training provider, I would say request at least ten days at eight hours each. If you're doing it in boot-camp format (assuming the students in the course aren't completely green, you can do it in 40, if it's all didactic.

In my experience, boot-camps can cost about $2000/student, on average. Some more, some less. As for compensation, that is extremely variable, but that can be $25/hr on the low end to $50/hr or more, depending on the institution and whether any benefits exist. If you're coming on as an instructor for a college, that can be from about $45k to $70k, depending on the school, experience, and availability of talent in the area.

As to preparation materials, CompTIA does have pre-prepared slides for each course - you have access to those when you take a TTT series - they pretty much give you all you need to teach. And if you're a member of the CAPP program, you can set yourself up with all kinds of stuff as well, with trial access to CertMaster Learn/Labs/Practice.

Hopefully this gives you some insight. Hit me up again if you have other questions. :)

/r

Yesterday I recently finished the Project + Train the Trainer Series with Rick and Steve
and redeeming but can not redeeming it error
It may be that the time to activate the book has passed - usually the availability is during the TTT series. CompTIA provided a different method to getting the book out to folks for this TTT series, so I'm not sure what the expiration parameters are. Stephen may be able to answer that one, but I'm not sure.

/r

Reactions: superguruman

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
Cleveland, Ohio
It may be that the time to activate the book has passed - usually the availability is during the TTT series. CompTIA provided a different method to getting the book out to folks for this TTT series, so I'm not sure what the expiration parameters are. Stephen may be able to answer that one, but I'm not sure.

/r
O goodness. I just tried and received the same error. I had been saving the activation until I would have time to prepare for the exam in early 2023. I am excited for this one. I have recently done Scrum Master so the Agile information is still fresh. I still have a couple of the TTT recordings to watch though. @Stephen Schneiter was there a deadline/expiration date for the Project+ Instructor Guide?

Stuart

May 28, 2022
O goodness. I just tried and received the same error. I had been saving the activation until I would have time to prepare for the exam in early 2023. I am excited for this one. I have recently done Scrum Master so the Agile information is still fresh. I still have a couple of the TTT recordings to watch though. @Stephen Schneiter was there a deadline/expiration date for the Project+ Instructor Guide?
I just checked and I am also getting the error. I too was saving to book for 2023 when I had some more time to get into this given that it is only active for 30 days. If I had known this would not work after the TTT sessions had ended I would have used the link/voucher before

Thanks again @Rick Butler for an amazing session

I hope this gets sorted so everyone that did the TTT sessions still get the book

Reactions: superguruman

Melinda Thompson

Oct 25, 2022
Hey Melinda:

So, the TTT series, for me, was 16 contact hours, but again, I started it with the understanding that the TTT would be for instructors that have already have some knowledge of PM and needed to walk through the objectives to learn the material.

I would say, to teach PM to the completely uninitiated, it would take...um...about 60 contact hours, minimum, to go through the basic principles. Add in some laboratory work, homework, and such, I can easily see an 80-100 hour contact course. If you're looking to teach this through a training provider, I would say request at least ten days at eight hours each. If you're doing it in boot-camp format (assuming the students in the course aren't completely green, you can do it in 40, if it's all didactic.

In my experience, boot-camps can cost about $2000/student, on average. Some more, some less. As for compensation, that is extremely variable, but that can be $25/hr on the low end to $50/hr or more, depending on the institution and whether any benefits exist. If you're coming on as an instructor for a college, that can be from about $45k to $70k, depending on the school, experience, and availability of talent in the area.

As to preparation materials, CompTIA does have pre-prepared slides for each course - you have access to those when you take a TTT series - they pretty much give you all you need to teach. And if you're a member of the CAPP program, you can set yourself up with all kinds of stuff as well, with trial access to CertMaster Learn/Labs/Practice.

Hopefully this gives you some insight. Hit me up again if you have other questions. :)

/r
Thank you for responding Rick. I will need to review all the materials and then set a schedule.

Is there a link to the Project+ Instructor guide?
No sir. The Instructor and Student guides are available only during the TTT session window, which folks are encouraged to download during the series. After that, the only way to get the materials is either talk to your CompTIA Business Manager (if your organization is a Partner) or off the CompTIA store.

/r

Esther S. Stepansky

• Mar 14, 2020
    I just checked and I am also getting the error. I too was saving to book for 2023 when I had some more time to get into this given that it is only active for 30 days. If I had known this would not work after the TTT sessions had ended I would have used the link/voucher before

Thanks again @Rick Butler for an amazing session

I hope this gets sorted so everyone that did the TTT sessions still get the book
    Unfortunately, the signup deadline is usually sometime DURING the TTT and the access is usually for a short window after (usually only 30 days). In my experience by the time the voucher comes, the access has expired, so you need to use the access to study you need to use it right away while you have it and keep it fresh enough to pass once the voucher arrives.

I don't think the access is intended for us to use to study for the exam since as trainers we should be familiar with most of the content already.

It is for use as trainers to decide if these materials are the ones you want to use to teach. Once you adopt them, (or something else) then you will have what you need to study too, if need be.

If you missed the TTT window, you can contact your organization's CompTIA rep and ask for a free review code any time.

Kevin Kamanga

Mar 15, 2023
    No sir. The Instructor and Student guides are available only during the TTT session window, which folks are encouraged to download during the series. After that, the only way to get the materials is either talk to your CompTIA Business Manager (if your organization is a Partner) or off the CompTIA store.

/r
    Thank You Rick