Pursuing CompTIA and being a Pearson Vue Certified Proctor

Is there anyway other then drooping down as a Certified Proctor for Pearson Vie that I could take the A+ exam?
The rules for CompTIA test in PearsonVUE stipulate that if you are actively proctoring CompTIA exams in a PVTC, you are not eligible to take a certification exam for six months after ceasing to be a Testing Administrator. Conversely, PVTC rules disallow anyone from being a Test Administrator for CompTIA exams who has taken one within the last six months.

Sorry to bear the news.

/r

R. V. Rittenhouse M.Ed.

Oct 16, 2021
The rules for CompTIA test in PearsonVUE stipulate that if you are actively proctoring CompTIA exams in a PVTC, you are not eligible to take a certification exam for six months after ceasing to be a Testing Administrator. Conversely, PVTC rules disallow anyone from being a Test Administrator for CompTIA exams who has taken one within the last six months.

Sorry to bear the news.

/r
But here is the rub. I proctor the wide realm of Pearson Vue test. The wording that you stated is actively proctoring. We rearly test for A+. It is just the way it is. So, if I don't proctor a CompTIA exam and I am still a Proctor, then I CAN pursue the A+?

I don't mean to be picky on this, but I have been dealing with this issue for the past 10 years and frankly it is hurting my career. We make so little on proctoring these tests to begin with. We 100% support your endeavors yet the test proctors are the ones to be hurt.

There is another way to look at this as well. The test proctors are to hold up to the integrity of the test, yet the test proctors can't be trusted not to look at the answers and take the test ourselves. There is just something not quite right about that.

Russell

But here is the rub. I proctor the wide realm of Pearson Vue test. The wording that you stated is actively proctoring. We rearly test for A+. It is just the way it is. So, if I don't proctor a CompTIA exam and I am still a Proctor, then I CAN pursue the A+?
Generally, yes. For example, my school does CompTIA and AMT for medical (RMA/RPT). I can proctor AMT exams. I CANNOT do CompTIA exams without waiting six months, going in and coming out. That's what the rules from PVTC stipulate.

I don't mean to be picky on this, but I have been dealing with this issue for the past 10 years and frankly it is hurting my career. We make so little on proctoring these tests to begin with. We 100% support your endeavors yet the test proctors are the ones to be hurt.

There is another way to look at this as well. The test proctors are to hold up to the integrity of the test, yet the test proctors can't be trusted not to look at the answers and take the test ourselves. There is just something not quite right about that.
I sympathize with your situation, which is why when my school asked me to be a proctor for CompTIA, I refused to do it. I needed to stay current and certified. As for me personally, I don't work for CompTIA or PVTC as an employee, so I cannot tell you what to do. While I can personally see your philosophy in theory, regardless of opinions surrounding trust and impropriety, the rules have to stand as they are. And those rules provide that non-repudiation defense, which is a protection for you as a professional.

I used to work directly for a training company that was also a testing center. We did on-site testing for military customers and the owners of the company were able to get an exemption from CompTIA for me to be able to take exams and get / maintain certifications while also administering exams for our students so they didn't have to fly a proctor out just to administer the exam on the last day of class. Depending upon your circumstances, you may want to look into seeing if CompTIA would grant you a similar exemption?

Reactions: Eddy Harden