Question of the Week #11

Jwehrle

Staff member
Nov 12, 2019
Happy Monday everyone! It's that time of week again... QUESTION OF THE WEEK! We look forward to your answers and/or feedback and thanks as always for humoring us 😊

Question:
In CertMaster Learn, how can the Student/Learner use the "Lessons" tab to their benefit?

HINT: There are multiple right answers and quite a bit you can do here so don't be shy, thanks again and have a great week!

See, I was good...I gave you all almost a full day to get in the first shot before answering this. But I guess if nunyall are gonna step up, leaving Jordan hanging here...

So, let's start by looking at one:

1649781886041.png

So, the course content is laid out along the same lines as the text. Each block though, the reader is given the option of setting their Confidence Level - High/Medium/Low. Now of course, this is purely subjective and based on the student's own self assessment. But it should be able to at least tell the student, "yep, got that, nope, suck at that".

These also correspond to Labs where the student can perform the lab as they go along, rather than just reading the book, and then doing the labs, and then doing assessments, and then...you get my meaning.

So, the Lessons Tab is about as close as it gets to a self-paced course. I would love to see more video content to help bridge information together, though. For example, this morning, going through CASP+, nestled in Chapter 5, the book goes over RADIUS and Diameter. It would be really good to see Diameter in operation, since CompTIA is known for pulling questions out of obscure areas and Diameter is testable knowledge, although it's not in heavy use throughout the world.

Walkthrough demos would be a nice thing to see. As much as I love Dr. J's videos, I think creating more video content that looks into things that really are less "lecturable" may be in order. For example, @admar raised the point a couple days ago regarding log file analysis. So, these videos, showing various logs, maybe hosted by our very own @Lee McWhorter, and maybe someone else (since log files are an art), with a compare and contrast between styles of analysis would make for a very insightful video - and maybe something that the CIN can work on as a project, because we have to have some people out here who can do some of this. And if they do, @Stephen Schneiter can toss them a CIN merch shirt or coffee cup (see what I did there, Stephen?)

Anyway, I'll back off this thing and get back to building ISO's. Meanwhile, who's next?

/r

admar

Jan 18, 2022
Luanda
See, I was good...I gave you all almost a full day to get in the first shot before answering this. But I guess if nunyall are gonna step up, leaving Jordan hanging here...

So, let's start by looking at one:

View attachment 764

So, the course content is laid out along the same lines as the text. Each block though, the reader is given the option of setting their Confidence Level - High/Medium/Low. Now of course, this is purely subjective and based on the student's own self assessment. But it should be able to at least tell the student, "yep, got that, nope, suck at that".

These also correspond to Labs where the student can perform the lab as they go along, rather than just reading the book, and then doing the labs, and then doing assessments, and then...you get my meaning.

So, the Lessons Tab is about as close as it gets to a self-paced course. I would love to see more video content to help bridge information together, though. For example, this morning, going through CASP+, nestled in Chapter 5, the book goes over RADIUS and Diameter. It would be really good to see Diameter in operation, since CompTIA is known for pulling questions out of obscure areas and Diameter is testable knowledge, although it's not in heavy use throughout the world.

Walkthrough demos would be a nice thing to see. As much as I love Dr. J's videos, I think creating more video content that looks into things that really are less "lecturable" may be in order. For example, @admar raised the point a couple days ago regarding log file analysis. So, these videos, showing various logs, maybe hosted by our very own @Lee McWhorter, and maybe someone else (since log files are an art), with a compare and contrast between styles of analysis would make for a very insightful video - and maybe something that the CIN can work on as a project, because we have to have some people out here who can do some of this. And if they do, @Stephen Schneiter can toss them a CIN merch shirt or coffee cup (see what I did there, Stephen?)

Anyway, I'll back off this thing and get back to building ISO's. Meanwhile, who's next?

/r
I agree. sometimes is also my problem read logs and teach my student about

Reactions: Jwehrle
I agree. sometimes is also my problem read logs and teach my student about
Something like that, I would say, would be more about you teaching your students directly. Having sample log files from various sources along with their use cases can go a long way to help them understand how to get the information in them. /r