Reporting braindumps

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Totally agree with this. It's funny too, when you 'out' a braindump chump - they get all defensive. But in the end, they get to live with the shame that they cheated to get where they are. Back in the day, Paper MCSE's were literally a dime-a-dozen. So yes, I'd love to see a reporting function where folks can report braindump activity. /r

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I ran through a litany of offending companies out there that basically sell VCE/ETE's a couple years back. Told instructors and students not to use them - they were cheating. People even got mad at me because I made a stink out of it, called them out and everything.

Loved the slogan from Even Balance - makers of the anti-cheat software PunkBuster, and it applies here: If you cheat, you are a punk.

Sometimes, when you do the right thing, you do it by yourself.

/r

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    Back in the day, Paper MCSE's were literally a dime-a-dozen. So yes, I'd love to see a reporting function where folks can report braindump activity. /r

On a side note, remember back in the day walking into Barnes and Noble (or equivalent) and seeing row after row of IT books and cert exam prep books! Ah, that was fun!

Today there is what, maybe two shelves on IT, mostly coding and how to use your iPhone books. :ROFLMAO:

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    I wonder if publishers are finding it harder to write content for exam prep these days. With exams changing quickly, free or very inexpensive online training courses, and the plethora of available resources, I think the days of carrying around a fat-book for study is an artifact of the last IT generation.

I showed it off during the Sneak Peek for Server+, but I'll be sure to have my old Sybex Server+ book for the 001 exam in the background, proudly displayed.

I know one thing also I tell my students concerning braindumps - it may or may not be accurate, but it helps dissuade students from using them - I tell them that test vendors like CompTIA and Microsoft will submit their own "braindumps" into the public pool, but those dumps are poisoned. So if a candidate uses one and answers too many questions that align with the poisoned dump, the vendor will know the candidate is using dumps for test prep and take action against them.

But one thing I wish I could find is someone who actually got their credentials expunged from their accounts because they were definitively found cheating. Granted, there's a high degree of confidentiality to be had there - and no one is going to ADMIT they were cheating and got busted...

/r

Reactions: Tess Sluijter

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    I wonder if publishers are finding it harder to write content for exam prep these days. With exams changing quickly, free or very inexpensive online training courses, and the plethora of available resources, I think the days of carrying around a fat-book for study is an artifact of the last IT generation.

As the song goes: Oh, the times they are a-changin'...

A lot of exam prep is indeed switching gears to online delivery, with small publishers or individual teachers creating and selling their materials either via their own portal, aggregators (like Safari/O'Reilly, Udemy and PluralSight).

Reactions: Mallia
    Well, getting back to the topic, technology and publications change pretty rapidly, and with countermeasures to protect the investment we all make on certification, what blows me away at times is how creative those folks get that are looking for the quick and easy solution that pays out big. There is a lot of pressure to get certified that folks aren't using certification for what it was meant to do - actually assess skill. I could preach an entire sermon on this - and I'm sure others could too.

John M. Jones

Sep 12, 2020
    I tell them that test vendors like CompTIA and Microsoft will submit their own "braindumps" into the public pool, but those dumps are poisoned. So if a candidate uses one and answers too many questions that align with the poisoned dump, the vendor will know the candidate is using dumps for test prep and take action against them.
    I love this, going to start using it! :)

Reactions: Rick Butler
    The key is to erode confidence in services that use VCE files to provide dumped test questions - remember, we want to make sure our students know their stuff, not just a bunch of questions that they regurgitate in the exam room.

Meanwhile, we want to give our students confidence that doing it the right way is the best way to getting what you should earn and earning what you should get.

/r

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    Thing is: on the /r/comptia Discord server, many students end up practicing with braindump sites, without actually knowing or understanding that these questions are braindumps. They just search for "free comptia practice exams" or stuff like that and use what they find. In a lot of cases, there is no malicious intent of cheating, just people tied by their budgets trying to find a solution to prepare for a difficult exam.

Thing is: on the /r/comptia Discord server, many students end up practicing with braindump sites, without actually knowing or understanding that these questions are braindumps. They just search for "free comptia practice exams" or stuff like that and use what they find. In a lot of cases, there is no malicious intent of cheating, just people tied by their budgets trying to find a solution to prepare for a difficult exam.
    I'll agree that there are a lot of innocent folks out there who are just looking for a break in cost to be able to get resources - I've been there in my life. But in my experience, those that are looking at braindumps aren't looking for free practice testing; they're looking for the 411 of what's on the test.

I knew a person once who had a CASP, was all proud of it. And then I found out how he got it - by braindumps. Later, he had to retake it and let's just say he didn't do well enough to suggest he actually knew the body of material - only that he wanted the credential so he could put it on a resume. I've seen too many of them in my life that have leveraged VCE/ETE files to get out of actually learning.

The bigger issue is that someone out there has to build them; someone has to violate their agreements with PearsonVUE and CompTIA to turn out the test questions, even anonymously. I believe these people do a disservice to the very community they think they are helping.

PETER HANWITH HORDEN

Mar 11, 2022
    BRAIN DUMPERS SCAMMERS

Hello must just share your Braindumper on your tube I did report and it was shut down. About two weeks came across another site besides the braindumps they have a guy who you pay and he will write your cert for you for a few and it is guaranteed you will have cert. I did get hold of Comptia security who came back to me for details these clown run out of UK. They also say pass your Cert with out study very Dangerous , perhaps you get on a plan and the pilot bought his License. THIS IS MADNESS THEY MAKE THIS CHEAP like that little lady on you tube.
    Makes me think of my MCSE spent 30 grand and it had no value.
    Why do want a short cut ?