side hustle/contract

Rick Butler

• Aug 8, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    www.intellitec.edu
    Hey there - There are actually a lot of CIN'ers out here that teach on the side while working a regular boring job ( :p ). Sometimes, we see postings out here for remote work - haven't seen much for bi-lingual work, but it can happen, certainly. I'd say, get involved in the community, get yourself out there, and you might be able to get something going.

A long time ago, I did some work with a company called Wyzant (wise ant) and found a couple clients to tutor. Not sure if they're still around or the like, but perhaps that's an avenue to pursue.

/r

Tess Sluijter

Apr 1, 2020
    the Netherlands
    www.kilala.nl
    Regarding bilingual, it's usually done in English, but that would depend on the institution.
    Funnily enough I would say that most often teaching is done in the native language of the country you're in. The books, labs and materials might be in English, but the actual teaching is often done in the spoken language. Or, if it's in-house at a company, in the primary language of choice in the enterprise.

Case in point: I live in the Netherlands. I teach in-house at a customer in English because we have a diverse an international workforce. But at school I teach in Dutch.

Abby N Krane

Jan 4, 2022
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I teach a lot of individuals where English is their second language. Classes and instruction are done in English because they will take the exam in English. I am not bilingual, but I would want my participants to take the class and use materials in the language they are taking the exam in. I'd be too afraid terms may change or they'd struggle on the exam if they studied materials in a different language as the exam, even if that was their native language. I work for a company that has US offices but is based out of Mexico and I have seen some of my coworkers have to take a pause in meetings because of having to think of the correct word translation. There may not be time in the real exam to do that.

Reactions: Tess Sluijter

Stephen Schneiter

Administrator
    Staff member
  • Nov 26, 2018
    Knoxville, TN
    I am a full-time CISO and do teach on the side. There are a lot of opportunities to look for part-time work at a community college, but it depends on where you live. Regarding bilingual, it's usually done in English, but that would depend on the institution.
    I had an opportunity to teach a class in Japan, a few year back, and it was taught in English. Students did not have a problem following along.

Reactions: Tess Sluijter

agarcia

Jul 10, 2020
    Thanks Rick I will look into that, Wyzant. That's true Tess, but like Abby says they'd struggle on the exam, although it could also depend on how fluent they are with both languages. I guess when you freelance it might be up to what the student wants, maybe explain it in a way they understand it, then translate it.

samberumen

• Oct 15, 2019
    Hi there, I currently work full-time in IT, been wondering teaching or be a mentor to a student part time as a side hustle. Not sure if one-on-one, or a small private group, although the exam will be in English, I would like it to still be a bilingual course. Has this been done? Teach A+ in English/Spanish remotely.
    @ Agarcia, I live in Mexico and all my classes are in Spanish using English material, only certain words that don't have a direct translation I explain them to students, but yes, you can teach Bilingual Classes as long as the student can at least read English. I have been doing this for more 10 years.